School Librarian, part time, 21 hrs per week, salary $35/hour, no benefits. Schedule is set to coordinate with classroom schedules, but there is some room for flexibility.
Small K-8 public school in Oakland with approximately 300 students, located in the Upper Rockridge neighborhood. There is strong parental involvement and support for both curricular and extracurricular activities. The Library consists of a collection of approximately 10,000 books. In addition to this position, the Library staff consists of a district library aide and parent volunteers. This position reports to the PTA Board. All applicants please note that this position is funded, managed, and overseen by the school’s PTA Board. This is not an OUSD position.
- Manage and conduct daily operations of a school library including reference, collection development and circulation.
- Communicate with Oakland Unified School District librarian and technology services to both learn and administrate the on-site Follett library system. Attendance at monthly OUSD library staff meetings preferred.
- Collaborate with teachers to create a library curriculum that teaches information literacy skills incorporating classroom curricular content.
- Conduct library classes for students in grades K-5 for approximately 13 hours per week.
- Recruit, train and supervise parent volunteers.
- Responsible for collection management, including; collection development, acquisitions, cataloging, processing and weeding.
- Participate in school-wide activities and programs as needed.
- Assist with planning and administration of PTA fundraising events for the Library
- Master’s Degree in Library Science preferred
- Knowledge of children’s and teen literature and resources
- Ability to use and manage library system software
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Experience in a school library setting
Email a cover letter, the names of three references and a resume to: