Reports to: Vice President for Operations/Library Director
Mills College is a nationally respected independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for both women and men. Located on 135 lush acres in the foothills of Oakland, California, the College enrolls approximately 950 undergraduate women and 500 graduate women and men. Consistently ranked one of the top colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report and one of the “Best 371 Colleges” by The Princeton Review, Mills provides a dynamic liberal arts education fostering women’s leadership, social responsibility, and creativity.
The F.W. Olin Library’s collection is more than 150 years old and supports the entire undergraduate and graduate curriculum. Holdings include more than 240,000 volumes comprising print books, e-books and electronic periodicals, print serials, musical scores, sound recordings, visual media, and an unusually strong Special Collections department. The Library has a strong selection of more than fifty interdisciplinary databases, which help to facilitate the curricular and research needs of our students and faculty.
Mills College is looking for a dynamic, strategic and forward-thinking Associate Library Director to help define the vision for the Library’s future by developing and enhancing services and programs that actively position the Library throughout the community.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- The Associate Library Director has responsibility for the day-to-day operations and development, programming and administration of Library and related information services of the College.
- The position plays an active role in the administration and supervision of the public services of the Library, as well as supervising staff in the technical services areas.
- Working with the Library Director and key staff, the Associate Director administers overall planning and development of all essential public services, including reference, instruction, circulation and course reserves.
- Research and evaluation of new services are among the duties, as is facilitating interaction between the Library and faculty in supporting the academic curriculum and goals of the College.
- As a member of the Public Services team, the Associate Director has regular reference desk and instructional duties.
- Performs all other position-related duties as needed.
- Master of Library Science or Master of Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent
- Five plus years of progressively responsible librarian administrative experience in an academic library
- Clear understanding of the evolving role of the academic library in a time of complex transition in the technologies of scholarly knowledge
- Experience using technology to support service innovation and/or productivity enhancements
- Working knowledge of integrated library systems, preferably Innovative interfaces
- Demonstrated knowledge of a variety of academic databases used by students and faculty
- Vision and capability to refine and develop the library of the future
- Skills in marketing products and services to an academic community
- Strong planning, organization and analytical skills
- Ability to lead collaboratively while making prudent and timely decisions
- Progressive management style with a vision for the future
- Proven library management, budgetary and strategic planning skills
- Experience in and ability to build effective supervisory and working relationships with staff
- Experience with assessment, statistics, copyright and fair use implementation
- Reference experience using databases and other print and online sources
- Teaching or training experience; ability to play a leading role in supporting student and faculty learning and teaching
- Working knowledge of cataloging, including monographs, serials and electronic resources
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Ability to work safely in compliance with College Injury and Illness Prevention Plan
SALARY: Salary to the $70’s commensurate with experience, plus an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403b retirement plan, 22 days vacation plus 13 paid holidays and 12 sick days annually. Staff also receives free admission to campus events and the Art Museum; use of the Library, pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter specifying job title, salary requirements, and contact information for three references (including phone number and email) and a completed Mills College application to:
Posted: October 14, 2009
Application Closing Date: Open until filled
MILLS COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Reasonable accommodations to enable participation in the selection process may be requested by qualified disabled individuals by writing to the above address, or by calling (510) 430-2282.