Fixed-Term, Part-Time Position
The Exploratorium is a not-for-profit museum dedicated to the public understanding of science, art, and human perception. It has pioneered the role of museums as active teaching centers with original programming based on an interactive approach to learning. It serves as an interdisciplinary resource for schools, universities, scientists, and artists, as well as for the public.
The Library Assistant I will support the Learning Commons facility, a library/learning center that facilitates educational and informational professional development of its users by providing a wide variety of electronic, multimedia, and print-based learning resources. The Library Assistant I reports to the Library Commons Manager. This position begins on May 26, 2010, and ends on August 28, 2010. The Learning Commons is open to members of Exploratorium teacher professional development programs, Exploratorium staff and other affiliated audiences.
* Staffing of circulation desk Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm
* Circulation: Check materials in and out
* Maintenance of collection: Filing/Shelving
* Keep the Learning Commons neat and tidy
* Initial response to reference inquiries in absence of regular Learning Commons personnel
* English proficiency required
* Ability to work with minimum supervision
* Experience with circulation and reference in a library setting
* Good interpersonal skills and positive customer service attitude
* Ability to perform detail work with accuracy
* Willingness to be flexible under a variety of circumstances. (Sense of humor a plus)
* Ability to learn quickly new procedures
* Perform duties in a timely fashion
* Honest, reliable, flexible and self-motivated
The application submission deadline is 5:00pm on Friday, April 23, 2010 or when the position is filled. This position is available immediately. Please note that if the job posting is no longer available on our website, then the position is no longer available and applications will not be accepted.
HOW TO APPLY
This is a fixed-term, part-time, non-exempt position that does not include benefits. This position begins on May 26, 2010, and ends on August 28, 2010. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Library Assistant I
(Please include position title as the subject heading.)
Exploratorium, 3601 Lyon Street, San Francisco, CA 94123
Fax: (415) 674-2852
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (attachments not accepted)
No phone calls, please
The Exploratorium is committed to a diverse workforce.