Mills College is a nationally respected independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for both women and men. Located on 135 lush acres in the foothills of Oakland, California, the College enrolls approximately 926 undergraduate women and 585 graduate women and men. Consistently ranked one of the top colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report and one of the “Best 371 Colleges” by The Princeton Review, Mills provides a dynamic liberal arts education fostering women’s leadership, social responsibility, and creativity.
The College is recruiting for a Reference Librarian. Full-Time, Exempt
Under the general direction of the Head of Reference, this position provides a full range of reference and instructional services including staffing the Reference Desk at the F.W. Olin Library. The Reference Librarian will also teach classes, assist with circulation functions, handle email reference inquiries, and participate in collection development for several academic departments. The Reference Librarian will also create and update public service documentation and library publications such as pathfinders and bibliographies (online and print). Work schedule includes one evening a week and 3-4 Sundays per semester. Supervision of student workers and other staff as needed.
- Graduate degree in librarianship from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Demonstrated experience using databases, other electronic resources, online catalogs, the Internet, and print resources.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Effective teaching skills in group and individual settings.
- Strong planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to library public services.
- Working knowledge of hardware and software used in libraries (e.g., PCs, Apple products, printers, etc.).
- Conversant with emerging technologies.
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues, faculty, students, and staff.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to F.W. Olin Library patrons.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- 1-3 years of increasingly responsible reference/public service experience, preferably in an academic library.
- Teaching experience, including curriculum planning, lesson plans, and instruction.
- Experience with course reserve and electronic reserve procedures.
- Experience with interlibrary loan procedures.
- Experience using an integrated library system, particularly Innovative Interfaces.
- Supervisory experience.
SALARY: Salary of $40,000-$42,000, plus an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403b retirement plan, 22 days vacation plus 13 paid holidays and 12 sick days annually. Staff also receives free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
To apply, please go to: http://mills.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=19313
Submit your resume, a cover letter specifying job title and the Mills Application Form.
Application deadline is July 16th. Start date is on or after September 1st, 2010.
MILLS COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Reasonable accommodations to enable participation in the selection process may be requested by qualified disabled individuals by writing to the above address, or by calling (510) 430-2282.