Temporary Full Time
November 1, 2010 – December 31, 2010
Rate of Pay: $29/hour
Posting Date: October 18, 2010
The Serials Librarian is responsible for the control and management of continuing resources in all formats, including serials staff supervision, quality control of data entered into the catalog, and the implementation of policies and procedures that support the timely and persistent availability of continuing resources to library users. This position reports to the Technical Services Librarian, and contributes to the overall operation of the Technical Services Department, which is responsible for the functions of budget administration, acquisitions, materials processing, cataloging, and serials control. The Technical Services Department at Hastings Law Library also manages the state and federal government documents collection. The Serials Librarian is responsible for keeping current with developments in the fields of serials and continuing resources and library automation in general and of Innovative Interfaces products in particular. A demonstrated ability to learn complex procedures, excellent organizational and communication skills, and accurate performance of detailed work are required to be successful in this position.
Typical duties and responsibilities consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervising, training and conducting performance evaluations for the serials support staff
- Overseeing the serials receipt, claiming and bindery processes performed by serials staff
- Solving serials-related problems as they are brought to his/her attention
- Managing maintenance, renewal and cancellation of serials subscriptions in cooperation with the Budget Coordinator, including providing notification to the vendor and making the necessary adjustments to Millennium serials and order records
- Maintaining accuracy of serials records by updating the catalog to reflect title changes, frequency or format changes, cancellation and lapsed subscriptions
- Developing and consistently practicing standard procedures for the accurate performance of serials-related duties
- Cataloging of all new print serials materials and assigned electronic serial materials
- Serving as a member of the Collection Development Committee, participating in monthly meetings and performing follow up as necessary
- Acting as subject specialist in assigned subject areas for development of the library’s collection
- Acting as Faculty Liaison for a member or members of the Hastings faculty
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- ALA-accredited degree in library or information science
- At least 3 years experience as a serials librarian in an academic library
- Experience with OCLC Connexion, and Innovative’s Millennium integrated library system preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of current serials practices and standards
- Awareness of current trends and developments in cataloging and metadata schemes, and knowledge of cataloging procedures and principles such as OCLC copy cataloging, LCSH and LC classification, and MARC21 formats
- Familiarity with principles and practices of database maintenance
THE HIRING PROCESS
To apply, go to: http://hrnetlogin.net/uchastings/app/app.cgi?positionsdesiredtext=Serials%20Librarian%20-%20Law%20Library%20(Temporary) Failure to provide the information as required shall immediately disqualify an applicant from employment consideration.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Applicants who meet the position requirements will be competitively evaluated to identify the individuals whose breadth and depth of experience and education most closely relate to the stated requirements and the needs of the College. Depending on the quality and number of the applications received, only the better qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. The position is open until filled.
UC Hastings College of the Law is an Equal Opportunity Employer