Status: non-exempt; fulltime 12-month position
The California Institute of Integral Studies is located in downtown San Francisco, easily accessible by public transportation. The Laurance S. Rockefeller Library ( http://library.ciis.edu ) serves the approximately 1,500 students, faculty, & staff of CIIS in support of the Institute’s graduate studies and BA completion program. For more details about CIIS, please see www.ciis.edu.
Calling upon a significant level of technical and bibliographic expertise, The Catalog & Technical Processes Coordinator assumes primary responsibility for overall completeness, accuracy, and currency of collection records and for the congruence between online records and the library’s collections, both in-print and electronic. Working closely with the Systems Librarian and with the Serials Coordinator, this person shares responsibility for currency, accuracy, and completeness of collection data in our integrated library system (Koha) and of electronic serials holdings records (Serials Solutions). This person also oversees technical processing and repair of materials for Library collections, and may take primary responsibility for weeding and de-accession projects.
Required Qualifications – Either:
– a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS/MLS/MSIS) from an American Library Association accredited Library School AND
at least two (2) years of cataloging experience in an academic library setting
– more than 5 years’ experience doing original cataloging in an academic library.
Required Knowledge & Abilities:
- – proficiency with copy cataloging materials (from OCLC ) in all formats including electronic resources; ability to create and edit bibliographic records in OCLC and in a local integrated system.
- – knowledge of MARC format (including MARC 21).
- – ability to apply Library of Congress MARC classification tables, authorities and subject headings, AACR2R, and Library of Congress Rule Interpretations.
- – proven expertise with original cataloging of books and other material formats (e.g., audio, video, and/or archival collections).
- – ability to remain current in computer technology trends related to technical services responsibilities.
- – team and collaborative work skills.
Desired Knowledge & Abilities:
- – familiarity with (including ability to troubleshoot) the following applications and products:
- OCLC Connexion
- LC Classweb
- – facility with cataloging electronic book collections (e.g., netLibrary, Oxford University Press, ebrary);
- – supervisory experience, preferably managing student workers; and
- – prior responsibility for library acquisition and collection development activities.
Familiarity with open-source library applications (especially Koha ILS) and/or with archival and special collections would be advantageous.
Candidates will be tested to more accurately determine functional ability to perform specific job duties.
Send a cover letter with attached resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . In your cover letter, be sure to include:
- – the various library systems (ILS) and /or catalog systems you have worked with;
- – your experience with the specific cataloging applications/products listed in this posting;
- – URLs, links, or details so we can view three (3) specific records you created; and
- – a description of your training and/or recent years’ professional development activities for best practices in academic library cataloging.
CIIS is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio-economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. We seek to increase the presence, representation and inclusion of U.S. historically under-represented people of color, international, bilingual and bicultural students, faculty and staff; and, to provide an environment that will attract and retain individuals identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex (LGBTQQI).