Principal Metadata Analyst Needed for 3 year contract located in Oakland, CA
The Metadata Analyst reports to the Director, Discovery and Delivery Services Group at California Digital Library and will work primarily provide analysis, reporting, planning and coordination for a collaborative digital repository. The Metadata Analyst will work closely with the technical lead, and with other members to recommend, design and implement appropriate metadata schemes.
In addition, this position may provide support to other projects for the Discovery and Delivery suite of services, as needed. Many projects will involve collaboration with external partners.
Analyze digital project use cases and requirements and develop strategies for metadata capture, normalization, transformation, storage and output. Work with project teams as metadata expert for the life cycle of the project. Represent the Discovery and Delivery Team as in-house expert on metadata issues. Liaise metadata experts and Discovery and Delivery Team experts on metadata issues. Perform in-depth metadata analysis based on automated review of very large datasets and logs. Troubleshoot issues related to metadata mapping and transformations in interconnected Discovery and Delivery applications. Monitor and contribute to the development of local, national, and international metadata standards and trends. Assist in applying new metadata standards across Discovery and Delivery applications.
- Prefer Bachelor’s degree in information management, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and 3 or more years of experience in information technology which includes metadata analysis and support in a production environment.
- Demonstrated experience in recommending, designing and implementing appropriate metadata schemes for digital library projects.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze digital project requirements and develop strategies for metadata capture, normalization, transformation, storage and output in support of project requirements.
- Demonstrated experience in working with files of metadata records, including machine-readable cataloging (MARC) records, Dublin Core, METS and other metadata.
- Demonstrated experience in automating and streamlining metadata creation, analysis and management using a variety of tools for metadata manipulation and scripting.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain local documentation on metadata standards and metadata application guidelines.
- Demonstrated awareness of library standards (e.g. FRBR, AACR2, OAI, OpenURL, DOI, Dublin Core etc) and information industry organizations (e.g. NISO, CrossRef etc)
- Working knowledge of the use of cataloging principles, standards and tools.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to interact with others in a consistently positive manner, exercising discretion and tact.
- Excellent oral communications skills which demonstrate the ability to effectively convey and explain information, liaise with vendors and tactfully deal with diverse people, situations and ideas.
- Excellent written communications skills which demonstrate the ability to draft clear, concise and specifications, documentation and reports.
- Strong analytical skills as demonstrated by the ability to draw conclusions in a logical, systematic way.
- Demonstrated ability to plans assignments and monitor performance according to priorities as demonstrated by regularly meeting established deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to perform competently under pressure, handling interruptions and changes without losing productivity.
- Working knowledge and experience with UNIX OS and a scripting language (for example Perl).
- Demonstrated experience in the transformation of XML documents using XSLT.
- Working knowledge of user interface design, prototyping and web applications.
- Working knowledge of web protocols and UI presentation tools.
Interested candidates please respond asap to Allison Dadoun, Account Manager COMSYS
A Manpower Company
135 Main Street #1120
San Francisco, CA 94105-1835