The staff of the Flora Lamson Hewlett Library at the Graduate Theological Union seeks a full time (37.5 hours per week) Circulation Assistant.
Maintain current knowledge of all standard unit policies and procedures; be able to clearly explain same to Library patrons. Train and direct student circulation assistants as assigned. Oversee security of the building at night and on weekends. Working with Head of Public Services, manage missing search procedure, including creation/updating of review files on INNOPAC, shelf searching and updating of patron records. Issue library cards according to established procedures, including entry and updating of online patron records. Assist patrons at Circulation/Reserves desk using automated circulation system. Perform stacks maintenance tasks as needed. Answer circulation phone, referring to other departments/units, as appropriate. Provide directional assistance to library users. Instruct the public in the use of photocopiers, microform reader/printers and audiovisual equipment. Process Interlibrary Loan requests via OCLC. Other duties as assigned. Some evening and weekend hours required.
- Required: College degree or equivalent coursework/experience such as an AA in Library Science. Experience training and directing the work of student assistants.
- Familiarity with Library of Congress call numbering system.
- Ability to set priorities and work cooperatively with staff and the public.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Interlibrary Loan procedures and online library catalogs.
- Preference given to persons with one to two years circulation library experience in an automated environment.
- Desired: Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, OCLC, Innovative Interfaces.
- Service orientation, demonstrated ease in working with the public.
STARTING SALARY: $26,159, plus benefits package.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, August 19, 2011
Send RESUME, COVER LETTER and LIST OF THREE REFERENCES (including addresses, phone numbers and email addresses) to: