Closing Date/Time: Thu. 08/25/11 11:59 PM
Job Type: Part-time
Location: Main Campus, 1928 Saint Mary’s Road, Moraga, CA 94556, California
- Saint Mary’s College invites applications for a half-time Cataloging Assistant (20 hours per week).
- Work in a highly collaborative and culturally diverse campus environment. Effectively communicate with a diverse community of faculty, staff, students, alumni and donors. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the mission of the College, which is informed, animated and expressed through its Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions.
- Reporting to the Head of Cataloging and Special Collections, the Cataloging Assistant is responsible for the accurate data entry and maintenance of online catalog records that represent the monographic and media collections of the library and for ensuring that catalog users can locate these resources within the catalog and the library.
- Enters, edits, updates and deletes records for monographs and media formats, completes catalog records from OCLC in the online catalog (ALBERT) and creates circulation records for each piece, revises holdings and other information in both databases for materials withdrawn, lost or sent to storage, performs some maintenance on the manual shelf list.
- Searches for appropriate catalog records for all media and for older books in the collection whose manual records are being converted to machine-readable form; searches the local catalog for gifts to determine if already owned by the library. Selects call numbers for new media, prepares cataloging worksheets for catalogers, prepares new books, keeps track of instructions pending and follows up after processing as needed.
- Withdraws records from the online catalog for materials no longer available, checks URL links in bibliographic records to ensure their proper function, records various holdings statistics in the course of daily operation, compiles a monthly report with data collected from the Cataloging and Periodicals units, maintains a collection of procedures and instructions for recurring tasks in the departmental wiki.
- Works on special projects as assigned by the Department Head or Dean for Academic Resources, attends library, campus and external meetings and workshops relevant to the position and the library and college mission.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Education at the college or university level preferred and 1-2 years of directly related experience, including the use of an online catalog system in staff mode, library technical courses in cataloging and database systems may substitute for experience, additional college-level courses and general personal computer experience with application software such as MS Office Systems preferred, along with internet and email usage.
- Experience with Innovative Interfaces library computer systems is highly desirable.
- Excellent spelling, grammar and vocabulary, working knowledge of cataloging practice and procedure, accurate transcription and data entry, familiarity with personal computer operation.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments, remain calm under pressure, follow complex written and oral instructions, establish priorities and work in an organized manner with emphasis on detail and accuracy; ability to work independently, seek consultation when necessary and remain part of a team in a fast paced environment, prolonged concentration and attention to detail.
For more information and to apply, visit: http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu