The Berkeley Public Library currently has a temporary opening (NTE 6 months) for a 50% Librarian (20 hours) in the Art & Music division. ALA accredited MLS required; background in music theory preferred.
The Berkeley Public Library, established in 1893, has a Central Library and four branches, Tool Lending Library, Adult Literacy program and free delivery to residents with disabilities and is one of the most heavily used public libraries in California. The Art & Music department of the Central Library circulates a collection of more than 20,000 music CDs, 6,000 vinyl records, music scores, books, magazines, and 35 mm slides.
Responsibilities may include;
- Advise patrons and answer reference questions regarding art & music and general subject knowledge, including evening and weekend shifts;
- Assist in adult program planning and implementation;
- Provide assistance in selection and maintenance of Reference and Art & Music print, media, and digital collections;
- Assess patron needs and advise them in making effective use of library resources and services;
- Assist patrons of all ages with reference questions and selection of library materials;
- Orient patrons to library procedures and practices and specialized information sources, specialized library material collections, and similar services;
- Prepare reading lists and bibliographies;
- Work with and develop relationships with community organizations and other partners.
This is a 6 month temporary position, extendable for up to 2 years. The position may be permanently filled after 6 months.
Librarian I: $30.53-36.61 per hour DOE
Librarian II: $33.60-$39.96 per hour DOE
Med (Kaiser/Health Net) Dental (Delta) Life Insurance
CalPERS (2.7% @ 55), Supplemental Retirement Income Plan (SRIP), IRC 401(a) plan
3 Weeks Vacation, Discounted YMCA membership, transit subsidy and more.
To apply: Send application materials to Jenifer Shurson (2031 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA 94704) no later than close of day (5 p.m.) April 6, 2012. City of Berkeley application (contact email@example.com for PDF application) is required, cover letter or resume optional.
For additional information please contact Jenifer Shurson @ firstname.lastname@example.org