This is a 25 hour per week position in both the lower school (K-5) and main (6-12) libraries. As a member of the Head-Royce Library team the candidate will work with learners k-adult in a community of 950 members. Priorities will be set to maximize contributions to the overall goals of the libraries determined annually. However, duties may be modified depending on particular experience/expertise.
Founded in 1887, Head-Royce is an independent, non-denominational, coeducational college-preparatory, K-12 school, which offers a challenging educational program to educate the whole child. The mission of the School is to inspire in our students a life-long love of learning and pursuit of academic excellence, to promote understanding of and respect for the diversity that makes our society strong, and to encourage active and responsible citizenship. More information about the School can be obtained on our website: www.headroyce.org.
- Experience working with children and/or adolescents and an ability to work effectively with employees and parents.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team.
- Cataloging and general library experience.
- Comfortable with computers, technology, Web/Library 2.0 tools, and willing to learn continually.
- Ability to multi-task
- Ideal candidates will have an understanding of and a genuine fondness for working with students of all ages.
Responsibilities: the School Library Assistant will know, or be willing to learn, how to do the following:
- Catalog and process materials in a variety of formats
- Search for and add age-appropriate, authoritative web sites to online catalogs
- Prepare online resources
- Maintain circulation system
- Track overdue materials – generate notices, follow through with students, parents,and business office when necessary
- Maintain print collection as necessary : clean, repair, and shelve with assistance of parent volunteer
- Maintain periodicals and subscriptions.
- Basic Maintainenance of A/V/tech (laptops, camera, shuffles, etc.)
- Order and maintain office/cataloging/processing/book repair supplies
- Prepare displays as needed
- Oversee annual inventory
- Assist in the general supervision of the library and help maintain welcoming, quiet atmosphere, general order, neatness, and learning environment
- Open and/or close the library when needed
- Miscellaneous, as arises
- Assist students, faculty, and staff:
- Assist with research and ready reference
- Assist with exploration of tools and technology for library of the future
Beginning salary is $15 per hour plus benefits.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to: Mary Goglio, Library Director, via email@example.com. Please put: “Library Assistant” in the subject line of your email. Head-Royce School is an equal opportunity employer.
Position begins August 2012.