This is a 25 hour per week position in both the lower school (K-5) and main (6-12) libraries. As a member of the Head-Royce Library team the candidate will work with learners K-adult in a community of 950 members. Priorities will be set to maximize contributions to the overall goals of the libraries determined annually. However, duties may be modified depending on particular experience/expertise. Summer hours may be available in other departments on campus.
- Experience working with children and/or adolescents and an ability to work effectively with employees and parents.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team.
- Cataloging and general library experience.
- Comfortable with computers, technology, Web/Library 2.0 tools, and willing to learn continually.
- Ability to multi-task
- Ideal candidates will have an understanding of and a genuine fondness for working with students of all ages.
Responsibilities: the School Library Assistant will know, or be willing to learn, how to do the following:
- Catalog and process materials in a variety of formats
- Search for and add age-appropriate, authoritative web sites to online catalogs
- Prepare online resources
- Maintain circulation system; Track overdue materials – generate notices, follow through with students, parents,and business office when necessary
- Maintain print collection as necessary : clean, repair, and shelve with assistance of parent volunteer
- Maintain periodicals and subscriptions
- Basic maintenance of A/V/tech (laptops, camera, shuffles, etc.)
- Order and maintain office/cataloging/processing/book repair supplies
- Prepare displays as needed
- Photograph or otherwise document displays and library programs
- Oversee annual inventory
- Assist in the general supervision of the library and help maintain welcoming, quiet atmosphere, general order, neatness, and learning environment
- Open and/or close the library when needed
- Miscellaneous, as arises
- Assist students, faculty, and staff:
- Assist with research and ready reference
- Assist with exploration of tools and technology for library of the future
Beginning salary is $15 per hour plus benefits.
Interested parties should send a cover letter, resume, and references to: Mary Goglio, Library Director, Head-Royce School, 4315 Lincoln Avenue, Oakland, CA 94602 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Head-Royce is an equal opportunity employer.