The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) is an ecumenical consortium of nine theological graduate schools. The GTU library provides library/information services to the GTU community.
The part-time Reference Librarian is responsible for providing reference services and directly related activities to the GTU community. The position is 15-18 hours a week and will include afternoon, early evening, and weekend shifts, preferably Sundays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides reference service and special assistance by appointment. Conducts follow-up research for questions that cannot be immediately answered at the Reference Desk. Answers reference email, phone calls, and in person questions.
2. Special projects may include: orientation tours and library instruction workshops; updating reference materials such as documentation, guides, and handouts; assessment of reference services and service hours
3. Other projects will be assigned based on the skills and interests of the librarian
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements and physical demands listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability desired.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
• M.L.S. from ALA accredited school or equivalent library degree.
• Strong reference skills
• Good interpersonal skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of theological terminology and concepts
• Ability to effectively use electronic resources for libraries
• Ability to instruct and teach
• Experience using Microsoft Office Outlook and Word
• Knowledge of one or more foreign languages
Application Deadline: August 6, 2015 or until filled.
Full job description and application instructions are available on the GTU Employment page.