Schools of the Sacred Heart San Francisco is seeking excellent candidates for an Associate Librarian and Archivist to support our high school students and faculty at Convent of the Sacred Heart High School & Stuart Hall High School, as well our institutional archival efforts.
The associate librarian and archivist works in conjunction with the librarian within our two campus library system, boasting a brand new Learning Commons completed last year, to foster vibrant, welcoming knowledge centers that are conducive to both consumption and creation by way of deep thought, authentic inquiry, and collaboration. The associate librarian supports the librarian as well as the high school students and faculty in a number of important ways: through clerical, instructional, and supervisory responsibilities; through maintenance of some facets of the schools’ online presence; and through development and maintenance of the school archives. Applicants should be excited about the current opportunities for school libraries as we continue to envision and advance the best possible support of 21st century learners.
This is a fully benefited, 10month position with a competitive salary.
Supports the librarian on both campuses with both library and instruction-related tasks, including:
● Assists in providing welcoming and useful spaces that support the learning communities of Stuart Hall High School and Convent of the Sacred Heart High School
● Assists in maintenance of:
- Learning Commons spaces and student supervision
- library collection, including circulation, book processing, evaluation, and weeding
- patron records in automated catalog system
- the online catalog
● Manages the periodical collections
● Provides comprehensive reference services to students and faculty (use of reference materials,
books, databases, computers, etc.)
● Provides instruction in research skills and the use of information sources, including electronic
databases, Introduction to Research, NoodleTools, etc.
● Provides Readers’ Advisory
● Models and teaches the ethical use of information, including knowledge of copyright, fair use, and licensing of intellectual property, and assists users with their understanding and observance of the same
● Develops displays, events, etc. to support school themes, extend classroom learning, and to
promote interest in reading
● Works in conjunction with the librarian and the library department chair to develop, implement, and assess curriculum
● Assists with the scheduling and training of student/parent volunteers who assist with routine tasks such as shelving, shelfreading, circulation tasks, and book processing.
Supports the fourschool community:
● Employs sophisticated technologies to organize, preserve, and provide access to a growing
volume of digital and analog assets that comprise the school archives
● Assists with maintenance of some facets of the schools’ online presence, mainly pertaining to the calendar (particulars of special schedules, school events, and important information)
Requires a B.A. degree.
Ideal candidate will be an M.L.I.S candidate or recent graduate.
Experience integrating and managing digital and physical assets and/or working in a school library setting strongly preferred.
Requires advanced search and research skills using proprietary databases.
Excellent writing, communication and grammar skills.
Requires demonstrated experience using a wide range of instructional technology tools. Direct experience using iPads, laptops, and Google Apps strongly preferred.
Must be detail-oriented, organized and willing to take initiative.
Must have excellent teamwork skills.
Requires the ability to work well with students and adults.
Must be a role model in embracing and living out the Schools’ mission, goals and criteria.
Experience with independent schools preferred.
Physical Ability Requirements:
Regularly lifting or carrying 1 – 20lbs.
Regularly climbing stairs
Regularly sitting or standing 4 – 8 hours
At Convent & Stuart Hall, we are committed to developing resilient, resourceful and engaged thinkers who are equipped to thrive in an evolving world. Our rigorous K12 educational model is a dynamic blend of single-sex classes within a coed environment, supported by small-school
class sizes with resources reflective of a large school. We deliver an interactive learning experience, curated by faculty highly regarded in their academic fields, so that students graduate with confidence in what they know, how they think and who they are. Our community is part of an international network of Sacred Heart schools, where students and adults embrace the catholic charism of our Sacred Heart founders, which is spiritually inclusive and global in nature.
The school is organized into four academic divisions, each led by a Head and sharing resources and a central administration, all of which is under the direction of the President.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit a letter of intent and a current resume via email to:
Amanda Walker, Elementary School Librarian & Library Department Chair
Schools of the Sacred Heart in San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.