What we are looking for:
Holy Names University is seeking an experienced academic librarian to take on a mix of responsibilities in instruction, reference, outreach, and technology services as a full-time member of our team. The right candidate will be energetic and enthusiastic, passionate about student learning, and ready to be an integral part of our diverse and unique academic community.
Who we are:
HNU is a progressive, inclusive, and rigorous academic community offering a liberal arts and professional education in Oakland, California, with one of the most diverse student bodies in the United States. We prepare students to think critically and imaginatively, to understand and employ various modes of knowledge, to communicate clearly and persuasively, and to promote the common good. Paul J. Cushing Library serves an essential role on campus, providing information literacy instruction and research resources to students, faculty, and staff.
What will you do at Holy Names University?
Your role will vary as you work alongside the other members of the library team, partner with various academic departments, and support the University’s mission.
Once you’re here, you will:
- Lead classes and workshops for students and faculty on information and how it is used;
- Help coordinate and implement a programmatic instruction strategy for achieving the
- University’s information literacy learning outcomes;
- Consult with students on their research projects and teach them how to navigate information resources;
- Develop the library’s collection of print and electronic materials as both an academic and community resource;
- Teach students how to critically evaluate the world of information around them;
- Represent the library at campus events and new student orientations;
- Promote the library as a creative and productive space for students on campus and online;
- Work side-by-side with faculty to better understand their curriculum and to support their needs;
- Track the use of library resources to shed light on emerging patterns and trends in information use.
We are looking for candidates who have:
- Provided reference and instruction services in an academic library setting;
- Experience developing and assessing learning outcomes for information literacy instruction;
- Strong time management and project management skills;
- A willingness to take on different responsibilities and roles as circumstances require;
- A flexible schedule and ability to work some weeknights and/or weekends;
- Technical know-how;
- Experience using and managing electronic resources, such as LibGuides, scholarly article databases, and integrated library systems;
- A strong sense of camaraderie and an excitement to work in partnership with colleagues, faculty, and students.
Experience and Education Required:
Holy Names University is interested in candidates with at least two years of academic library experience, particularly in reference and instruction. Instruction experience should include designing, implementing, and assessing information literacy instruction at the college level. Candidates should be able to share their approach to the following: classroom teaching, service at the reference desk, collection development, and library outreach. Candidates are required to have a master’s degree in library and information sciences (MLIS) or equivalent.
See HNU’s employment page for more details and application instructions.