This position is part of the Library’s senior management team reporting to the Dean, of Academic Resources.
The Head of Collection Management oversees $1.3M purchasing for new Library materials, manages a department of four who acquire and make available for the college community 3,000 – 5,000 books, standing orders and media resources, 90K journals and over 200 databases, with over 5,000 orders and 1,000 invoices approved annually. Responsible for planning, goal-setting, problem-solving, and evaluation, including assessment of staff, vendors, processes, and procedures.
In addition, this position leads the Collection Development Team, collaborating with 11 librarian subject specialists. Allocates and manages a complex, multi-disciplinary annual budget. This position plays a key leadership role, serving as the Library’s liaison to various campus committees, constituencies, and external organizations, particularly consortia.
Provides reference desk service, including weekends and evenings, and serves as a subject specialist for collection development, instruction, and outreach to one or more academic departments or programs (to be determined).
- MLS or MLIS required. Prefer a second master or an advanced degree.
- Minimum 7 years professional librarian experience, academic setting preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and lead successfully in a team environment.
- Substantial experience working with publishers and information providers, a solid understanding of the marketplace and trends.
- Successful collection development experience, particularly a solid track record managing collection funds, preferably to support multi-disciplinary fields.
- Experience working with library consortia and vendors, particularly for electronic resources, including license agreement negotiation.
- Substantial experience with major integrated library systems in some aspect of collection development required.
- Experience hiring, evaluating, training, and mentoring both career staff and student workers.
Application closes: 8/1/2016
Full job description and application instructions available online.