This standalone position is responsible for all library services for SGH’s West Coast offices (San Francisco, Los Angeles and Houston, TX). This role reports to the Corporate Library Manager and works as a team with one other Library staff member in our corporate office (Waltham, MA) to ensure that information is made available to SGH staff at all levels in order to advance the corporate mission.
- Provide reference services to library users in person and virtually for the West Coast offices. Oversee ILL (Interlibrary Loan) and document delivery services. Provide backup reference services for other SGH offices.
- Proactive development of the library collection (print and electronic) to keep building codes, design manuals and reference materials up-to-date to effectively serve the engineering staff. Coordinate collection development with other SGH library staff.
- Perform on-line research in subscription databases such as Engineering Village and on the web for historic, current and “buried” engineering literature, including codes and standards.
- Manage the library budget and allocate resources throughout the year for SGH West Coast libraries.
- Train engineering staff in use of library resources. Communicate regularly with SGH West Coast staff regarding the library collection, services, and future plans.
- Maintain professional relationships and participate in professional development activities with local and national professional associations. Maintain awareness of issues (such as copyright), trends, and technologies in the information world.
Ability to travel to our Southern CA offices 4-6 times per year.
- MLS with a minimum of 4 years of experience in a special library environment. Previous management experience preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have a strong service orientation, excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, and the ability to handle multiple assignments and work independently.
- Experience in searching a variety of sources in subscription databases and the web.
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification preferred.
- Experience with cataloging of technical or government materials is desired, but not required.
SGH has more than 500 employees and offices in Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, and Washington, DC.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. SGH considers all qualified applicants, and we encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. Apply online.