The County Library Department is seeking qualified individuals to fill permanent full-time, permanent part-time and temporary Library Assistant-Journey Level vacancies. Library Assistant-Journey Level responsibilities include helping library patrons locate information and use various reference sources; instructing patrons on the use of library resources; assisting at the circulation desk and processing library materials. Other duties include training new employees and student assistants and providing support in other areas of the library. Positions assigned to the Detention Library System maintain browsing libraries which allow inmates to obtain direct services from assigned Library staff, i.e. locating specific titles, authors, or subject areas. Excellent interpersonal skills are required for these positions in order to effectively and tactfully deal with fellow workers and the public.
The employment list established by this examination may remain in effect for six (6) months.
- Advises patrons of library policies, procedures, and services
- Operates computers to enter and retrieve information, locate library materials, and charges and discharges library materials
- Answers general reference and information questions
- Assists patrons in selecting and locating specific titles
- Instructs patrons in the use of the
- Unpacks and sorts daily book shipments and distributes as indicated; processes library materials for circulation
- Reassigns materials from one library collection to another, following established procedures
- Prepares various materials such as books, periodicals, newspapers and video and audio recordings for circulation; enters materials into circulation database
- Assists at the circulation desk, including checking materials in and out, issuing library cards, and calculating and collecting fines
- Receives and processes requests and reserves
- Assists in planning and presenting library programs
- May be responsible for opening and/or closing a branch library according to established schedules and procedures
In addition to typical tasks above, when assigned to Detention library, trains and supervises inmate workers; sorts, packs and unpacks shipments between library branches; coordinates periodic literary contests; records and submits statistics; prepares book selections, loads book carts and delivers library materials to inmate housing units.
Additional information and application instructions available online.