SUPERVISOR: Library Director
Please note: The following tasks are an outline of the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Other duties to be assigned as necessary and may change to meet departmental needs.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: is not intended to cover every work assignment a position may have. Rather, they cover the broad responsibilities of the position.
Under the general direction of the Director of the Library, manages the Library’s circulation desk and the Library’s circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, and stacks functions. Hires, trains, and supervises student library assistants. Working with another librarian, provides instruction and reference to the College of Pharmacy, the Graduate School of Education programs for Educational and Leadership Administration, Education Technology and Urban Education, and the School of Nursing and selects for and maintains library resources for this college and programs. Also participates in general library instruction and reference and in the overall promotion and development of the Library and its services.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: are those work assignments which are predominant, regular and recurring
• Hires, trains, schedules and supervises student assistants to provide excellent and welcoming circulation and information service and appropriate referrals. On call for questions from student assistants during evening and weekend hours.
• Supervises and manages the Library’s course reserves.
• Supervises and manages the Library’s Circulation Desk and circulation operation; handles access privileges for all students, faculty, adjunct faculty and staff; oversees the management of the library stacks.
• Trains, oversees, and serves as a resource to the library assistant in the processing of interlibrary loan/document delivery using OCLC, DOCLINE, and Clio. Assists with the processing of interlibrary loan requests as required by workflow. Proposes and monitors the annual ILL budget. Compiles and analyzes ILL statistics. Suggests collection purchases or licensing based on ILL transactions.
• Manages the circulation and reserve functions and files on the Innovative Interfaces Sierra system including loan rules, patron records, library hours, holds working with the Touro-wide III Sierra coordinator as needed.
• Prepares annual budget request for student assistants. Tracks expenditures for work study and regular payroll students. Reviews and approves timesheets for work study and payroll student assistants. Coordinates with TUC Financial Aid Office as needed.
• Working with another librarian, provides library assistance, instruction, and support including orientations, class instruction, reference, and online aids to students, faculty, adjunct faculty, and staff in the College of Pharmacy (COP), the Graduate School of Education (GSOE), and the School of Nursing (SON).
• Working with the other subject librarian, identifies, selects and maintains monographs and media materials in support of the COP and the GSOE and SON Programs
• Representing the curriculum and research needs of COP, GSOE, SON in conjunction with the other librarians and Library Director, participates in the Library process for the selection, purchase and renewal of databases and journals.
• Provides general reference and instruction service. May be required to work evening hours.
• Participates in discussion, decision-making, and other efforts related to the promotion and functioning of the Library and library services.
• Serves as back-up to the Electronic Resources Librarian to ensure timely and accurate activation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of access to the Library’s electronic resources and website.
• Working with the Library Director and the TUC Rabbi, plans, finalizes and amends if needed semester library hours. Using LibCal software and the TUC Library website, prepares, posts and otherwise publicizes library hours.
• Working with the Library Director, assists with Library maintenance, changes to the Library physical plant and layout and related service orders to the TUC IT Department and TUC Facilities
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES (if applicable): should reflect who the employee is supervising and what the expectations are.
• Hires, trains, schedules, and supervises the student assistants who staff the TUC Library Circulation Desk.
QUALIFICATION(S): is the Education, Training and/or related experience needed by the person to perform the job.
• Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library or information science program.
• Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrate a strong service orientation
• To be a flexible and productive team member
• To keep abreast of new technologies and changes in areas of responsibility
• Previous work experience in a library preferably in a college or university setting
• Experience with an integrated library system
• Library instruction experience
• Experience with web technologies and electronic resources
• Reference experience
• Previous access services experience or public service experience
• Work experience and/or educational background related to pharmacy and/or health sciences and/or education
CORE COMPETENCIES: identify the behavior an employee is expected to demonstrate.
• Is able to provide very good management and supervision of the operations reporting to this position including exercising sound judgment; interpretation and application of library policies; timely upkeep of circulation and reserve data; prompt and courteous response to patron requests; detailed knowledge of applicable Sierra modules; OCLC resource sharing, Clio and DOCLINE; ability to meet deadlines and multiple demands, and exercise quality control over assigned access services functions.
• Maintains an excellent command of print and electronic library resources for the College of Pharmacy and the Graduate School of Education and School of Nursing Programs, as well as a good command of other library and electronic resources relevant to the Touro University California curriculum
• Provides clear, well-organized subject-oriented library instruction appropriate to a particular class or program as well as general library instruction
• Maintains currency of new library resources in assigned subject fields, exercises good judgment about their applicability for Touro University California and makes sound decisions regarding their selection and de-selection.
• Maintains currency about electronic resources implementation and maintenance in order to serve as back-up to the Electronic Resources Librarian when needed.
• Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrates excellent productivity, organizational skills, attention to detail.
• Demonstrates effective and productive team work with others
• Demonstrates reliability, flexibility, and initiative in carrying out specific job responsibilities and as member of the TUC Faculty
• Is an able trainer and supervisor of student employees
• Demonstrates a strong customer orientation
• Demonstrates sound computer skills including MS Office, web and digital resource technologies