The Alliant library system is seeking a director for its San Francisco campus. The library is a two person operation, directly serving a population of several hundred students and several dozen faculty, and indirectly helping to serve other Alliant locations. The Alliant SF library shares resources with Alliant’s five other California campus libraries, and library staff frequently collaborate on projects. Recent graduates from ALA-accredited programs are encouraged to apply for this position.
About Alliant International University:
Alliant International University’s mission is to provide students with the highest quality of education through innovation in scholarship, applied training and research, and community service, particularly to underserved populations. The University’s goal is to equip students with the competencies they need to improve the quality of human life by addressing major contemporary social issues. Core competencies of the University’s training programs include cultural diversity, which is infused in courses and field placements and is manifest in the diversity of its students and faculty.
The Director of Library Services, under the general direction of the University Librarian, is responsible for establishing and operating the campus library as an integral part of the academic programs and the campus community.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in university-wide strategic planning for the libraries. Represent campus needs and issues to the Library Management Team, and communicate Team decisions to the campus.
- Define goals and objectives for the campus library. Consult with campus constituencies to implement library services consistent with local needs and system-wide policies.
- Establish local policies for and oversee library’s collection, access, and user services.
- Organize and allocate campus library resources (personnel, material, and fiscal) to achieve goals and conform to policies. Monitor library expenditures and revenue. Provide budget projections and needs to University Librarian as requested.
- Develop the collection by selecting and purchasing library materials and by accepting and screening gifts in support of campus curricula and research. Monitor curriculum developments to evaluate coverage by library resources. Consult with faculty to establish collection development priorities.
- Represent library services to campus administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and external communities, and provide reference and instructional services.
- Collect data and write reports on the library for WASC, APA, federal and state government agencies, and other organizations and/or administrators as appropriate.
- Assume an active role in appropriate professional organizations. Keep abreast of current developments in library technology, information science, and higher education. Investigate innovations in library services.
- Perform other duties as assigned by University Librarian.
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school, plus extensive professional experience in academic or research libraries.
Experience with computer-assisted literature searching and library automation. Background in behavioral sciences desirable. Experience with Innovative Interfaces Millennium/Sierra; knowledge of electronic resources management practices.
Essential Job Functions:
Organize and allocate campus library resources (personnel, material, and fiscal) to achieve goals and conform to policies. Monitor library expenditures and revenue.
Budget projections and needs to University Librarian.
Assume an active role in appropriate professional organizations.
Keep abreast of current developments in library technology, information science, and higher education. Investigate innovations in library services.
Management experience demonstrating leadership and strong supervisory skills.
Direct, supervise, and evaluate work of the library’s professional and support staff, and student assistants.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of all ages and diverse background
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team player
- Highly motivated, focused and results oriented
- Ability to exercise discretion and tact in all interpersonal contacts, and to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Ability to manage multiple tasks according to required deadlines
- Maintain composure under high stress conditions
- Ability to be optimistic, positive and supportive in all interactions with others
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
Background Check Requirements:
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Anti-Discrimination Policy: Alliant International University prohibits discrimination in employment and in its educational programs and activities, including admission or access thereto, on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or associational preference.
Alliant International University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to ensuring a high quality of education through the diversity of the University community and the curriculum. Women, people of color, people with disabilities and people from other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply, as we actively seek to increase diversity at all levels. The University will conduct its programs, services and activities consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and orders.
This policy is governed by Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, the regulations implementing these statutes, and applicable federal and California law.
Please include a cover letter, resume and three professional references with your submission. Apply online.