We have an opening for the Library Services Group Leader. You will be responsible for the leadership and overall management of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Scientific and Technical Library services, collections, and staff. In addition, you will develop a vision and strategy for modernizing the Library and its services to support a world-class scientific staff. This position is in the Laboratory Technical Information Department (TID) and is responsible to the Office of the Deputy Director for Science and Technology (DDST).
– Collaborate with management to develop a strategy for the future of digital library services and collections specific to the evolving needs of the research and development activities of the Laboratory. Provide the leadership necessary to guide and implement approved plans.
– Ensure availability of both traditional library reference and research services as well as lead the creation and adoption of new services technologies.
– Oversee the day-to-day operations and activities of the library including establishing and monitoring library budgets. Manage library staff including hiring, performance management, mentoring, and training and development.
– Direct, develop, organize, manage, and maintain the services of a modern scientific digital library; evaluate library contents to ensure alignment with the Laboratory’s research priorities; collect and analyze statistical data for electronic resources and print collections; negotiate appropriate price, terms, and conditions for the licensing or acquisition of information resources.
– Serve as primary point of contact and interact with internal senior management and external contacts (e.g., Department of Energy Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI), other Laboratories). Maintain awareness of local, national, and international library and information initiatives and best practices, through active participation in professional networks.
– Respond to inquiries involving library related matters; negotiate and resolve complex, sensitive, and/or controversial issues and complaints.
– Manage and/or conduct information searches using specialty database sources (e.g., physics, biology, patent, legal, regulatory, chemical, etc.) on classified and unclassified systems; synthesize and summarize search results, identify key research findings and deliver to customers.
– Partner with the Laboratory’s Information Technology (IT) Organization services for assistance and guidance on implementing digital initiatives and library software.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
– Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
– Knowledge of current trends, issues, and methods of information access to library resources as well as emerging technologies.
– Expert knowledge of and experience with all aspects of modern libraries including collection development and management, acquisitions, cataloging, metadata control, document delivery, inter-library loan, reports, electronic resources, and reference.
– Demonstrated leadership skills including ability to manage library budgets and monitor expenditures, mentor and develop team members, and manage projects.
– Demonstrated collection development and resource analysis skills. Ability to negotiate appropriate price, terms, and conditions for licensing or purchasing information resources, journals, books, databases, patents, and standards.
– Demonstrated ability to maintain effective working relationships with other agencies, publishers, vendors, internal customers, managers, and programmers from the information technology departments.
– Experience resolving complex problems, identifying, developing, and implementing technology solutions to meet information management and retrieval requirements.
– Expert reference experience and knowledge of print and electronic resources in science and technology; knowledge of scientific, technical, and patent databases, and related scientific resources; and knowledge of local, national, and international information sources.
– Master’s Degree in Library and Information Services.
– Experience with SirsiDynix integrated library system and ExLibris products, knowledge of HTML and other web technologies.
– Experience leading and managing a diverse library staff of exempt and non-exempt employees including ability to hire, supervise, train, develop, and evaluate library staff.
To view and apply for this position, please visit the website and search Job id: 102384