OPEN ONLY: July 10, 2017
FINAL FILING DATE: July 21, 2017
LIBRARY ASSISTANT- JOURNEY LEVEL
Monthly Salary Range: $3,232 – $4,127
Public Employees Union – Local One
It is an exciting time to work for the Library Department in Contra Costa County! Our vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of our community. We are seeking qualified individuals to fill permanent part-time Library Assistant-Journey Level vacancies. Library Assistant-Journey Level responsibilities include helping library patrons locate information and use various reference sources; instructing patrons on the use of library resources; assisting at the circulation desk and processing library materials.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following:
• Strong customer service skills
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with a diverse population
• Experience using a variety of computer applications and software
• Willingness to learn new technologies associated with learning resources
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
• The ability to multi-task, work effectively under pressure and with interruptions
• Skills to work independently and cooperatively in a support role
• Excellent interpersonal skills in order to effectively and tactfully deal with fellow workers and the public
• Analytic and critical thinking skills
• An interest in books and other information sources
To read the complete job description, please visit the website. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six months.
WRITTEN EXAM DATES
Written Exam: August 15, 2017
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Two (2) years full time or its equivalent experience in a customer oriented environment.
Substitution for Education: One (1) year full-time or its equivalent of office support work experience in a public library AND two (2) years full-time or its equivalent experience in a customer oriented environment AND
1) possession of 60 semester or 90 quarter units from an accredited college or university which included 15 semester or 18 quarter units in humanities, social science or natural science; OR 2) a Certificate of Library Technology from an accredited college or university; OR 3) Two (2) years of full-time or its equivalent paraprofessional experience in a public library which must have included readers advisory, information services and bibliographic searching.
Transcripts must be scanned and attached to your on-line application. Applicants who have attended a foreign or non-U.S. accredited university or college must provide proof of education evaluation completed by an educational evaluation service affiliated with the National Association of Credentials Evaluation Services (NACES) with transcripts.
Additional information and application instructions available online.