Contra Costa County encourages interested candidates to consider this exceptional career opportunity with one of the Bay Area’s most progressive and respected libraries. Permanent part-time vacancies may be filled from the results of this examination. Initial assignments may be as a Youth Services Librarian, Adult or Teen Services Librarian, Collection Development Librarian, or Juvenile Hall Librarian.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following:
• Partnering with community-based organizations and community groups to promote library services
• Developing innovative programs to build literacy, further education, and foster a love of reading
• Promoting our collections and reading through readers advisory, recommendation lists, blog entries,
author talks, book discussions, and other innovative methods
• Fostering digital literacy and providing age-appropriate technology instruction
• Developing collections and the space itself, ensuring a safe and inviting area
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
• Passion for creating an environment that encourages patrons to follow their interests, discover new ones,
learn from their peers, and of course, embrace reading
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience providing customer and reference service
• Ability to create and conduct innovative programs
To read the complete job description, please visit the website. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six months.
Note: Your application cannot be accepted if you have tested for this classification within the last six months.
Written Exam: August 23, 2017 or August 24, 2017
License Required: Candidates must possess and maintain throughout the duration of employment a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator’s license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science, from a school of librarianship accredited by the American Library Association.
Experience: Two (2) years’ experience in a customer oriented environment.
Additional information and application instructions available online.
Application deadline: 7/28/2017