Are you an MLS or MLIS student who is committed to changing lives and strengthening communities through the power of learning and reading? The Contra Costa County Library Department is currently recruiting for a Librarian Trainee. This position is designed for the master’s level library school student who wants practical experience in a large, diversified library system. The program provides exposure to public service, community outreach programs, and collection development. This practical training in public librarianship complements the academic education received from an ALA accredited college or university.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following:
• Reading and interpreting written materials
• Using a computer and searching the internet utilizing internet searching tools
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with the public and staff
• Communicating clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
• Ability to work comfortably with all levels of personnel
• Possess a strong work ethic
• Enthusiasm for learning
• A self-starter
• Excellent organizational skills
License Required: Candidates must possess and maintain throughout the duration of employment a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator’s license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Applicants must be currently enrolled in, and actively in the process of completing the last semester or last quarter to obtain an MLS or MLIS degree from an ALA accredited college or university. Applicants will be required to verify eligibility by providing qualifying transcripts prior to employment.
Rate of pay: $4,258/mo
Additional information and application instructions available online.
Application deadline: 7/28/2017