Part-Time Librarian (Pool), West Valley-Mission Community College District
Applications for Part-Time, Associate Faculty pools are continually accepted (unless otherwise specified) by the District and will be added to the application pool for review by hiring authorities on an as-needed basis. Should you be invited for an interview, you will be contacted by a District representative.
This is a part-time position as an Associate Librarian. The duties of associate librarians consist of library-related assignments and other responsibilities which are necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the Library. Duties may include, but not be limited to teaching various assignments including information competency courses, library orientations and library workshops, reference services, and co-developing web-based learning tools. Assignments may require day, evening, weekend and/or online work assignments. The workload for associate librarians shall not exceed a total hour assignment of sixty percent (60%) of a full-time assignment in any week. The assignments are as needed, during Spring, Summer, and/or Fall semesters. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators (ACE ).
Work location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA OR Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is based on a percentage of workload, up to a maximum of 67% of a full-time load. Salary is prorated based on an initial hiring salary range of $20,559-$24,418 per semester; and is based on academic achievement, teaching and related experience.
1. Education – Possess any one of the following:
• Master’s degree in library science, or library and information science; OR
• A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Library Science; OR
• The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Associate librarians are assigned by the Department Chair, in consultation with the associate member and his/her supervisor, if appropriate. Duties may consist of one or more of the following but other professional librarian duties, that are not listed, may also be assigned:
• Work with students at the reference desk;
• Provide reference assistance for students and staff
• Evaluate, select, and discard print and non-print library materials to keep the library collection current with curriculum;
• Provide bibliographic instruction for students.
• Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
• Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, course activities, evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of class, maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
• Maintain accurate class and other records conforming with state requirements and stated District and college needs.
• Submit, when due, all necessary reports such as attendance, grade reports, rosters and class schedules.
• Follow course outlines as filed in the appropriate instruction offices.
• Maintain office hours each week, at .5 hours per week per section.
• Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
• Provide each student with a written course syllabus at the beginning of the course, as per instructions in the Faculty Handbook.
• Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
• Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the member’s area of expertise.
• Work cooperatively within the college community.
• Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
• Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice and/or bias.
• Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website.
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.