Dominican University of California is seeking a candidate for a Head of Acquisitions position. The Head of Acquisitions performs a wide variety of mission-critical Library duties requiring initiative, independence, and confidentiality. This staff position includes responsibility for acquiring, processing and management of the Library’s print and electronic resource collections, as well as all other library purchases and vendor arrangements.
Acquisitions and Budget Management
• Works with the University Librarian to manage the capital and operational budget of the Library. Maintainins and monitors operational and capital budget, including invoicing, and reconciliation of expenditures.
• Coordinates the acquisition of all materials and services necessary to the daily operations of the Library
• Manages all database purchases and issues through SCELC and other database vendors for the Library’s electronic resources.
• Oversees, plans and adjusts acquisitions and processing flows to ensure timeliness and efficiency in moving materials to access services.
• Deals directly with Faculty, Staff and students for special purchasing requests.
• Coordinates with librarians to automate collection development, working with vendors to establish proper approval plans and standing orders.
• Performs deaccession and occasional copy cataloging of books as needed.
Electronic and Print Resources
• Oversees all aspects of acquiring print and electronic materials including creating procedures, workflows and statistical reports.
• Initiates, renews, and cancels serial, and electronic journal subscriptions in consultation with library faculty and removes print serials from library systems.
• In consultation with librarians, manages book and ebook selection profiles.
• Manages routine relations with vendors.
• Manages intake, processing, and, where appropriate, storage and serials in print and electronic formats.
• Manages invoice processing of book, journals and electronic resources.
• Maintains a current inventory of print and electronic serials holdings.
• Integrates new electronic resources with web page and proxy.
• Maintains EBSCO and OCLC Knowledge base for currency and accuracy.
• Oversees processing and disposition of browseable journals.
• Completes other tasks as assigned by the University Librarian.
• Bachelor’s Degree in any subject, or the equivalent number of years working at an executive level or project manager level.
• 5 years of increasingly responsible experience.
• Ability to work as a team member and to participate effectively in a collegial academic environment.
• A minimum of 3 years of Library acquisitions experience.
• Familiarity with standard office software programs, and ability to learn new programs as required.
• Master’s degree in any subject.
• Experience with copy cataloging.
• Budget management and administrative assistant experience.
• Experience with library circulation, cataloging and acquisitions systems.
Additional Position Information
• Priority will be given to applications submitted by November 10, 2017; however additional applications may be considered until the position is filled
• Must be willing to consent to a background check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university, offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. Dominican has a 1:10 teacher-to-student ratio, an average class size of 16, with a small-town feeling in a park- like campus. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
• Link to apply: https://dominican.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers
• A cover letter is required.
• Compile resume/CV and cover letter in one pdf document and upload in the Resume/CV section
• For further questions on the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment. We are committed in thought, word, and deed to recruiting and retaining a workforce that values the diversity of its student body. The University actively promotes an institutional culture that practices equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of all under-represented groups in higher education.
Full job description and application instructions available online.