DEADLINE TO APPLY
September 20, 2017 @ 5:00 PM
Candidates are encouraged to apply online at: http://www.hayward-ca.gov or http://www.GovernmentJobs.com. Paper applications can be obtained by visiting the Human Resources Department at City Hall.
The City of Hayward is excited to announce its recruitment for the position of part-time Librarian I. This position performs a variety of professional and para-professional duties in support of a modern urban library and community learning center; develops, implements and evaluates educational and library programs tailored to the changing needs of a diverse local community; and provides responsive customer service to a diverse population of library and learning center users. There are currently two part-time job vacancies.
The Department of Library & Community Services is responsible for Public Libraries, Education Services, Community Grant programs including CDBG and Social Services grants, Housing Rehabilitation and Affordable Housing programs, and Paratransit services.
Hayward’s new 21st Century Library & Community Learning Center is scheduled to open in Spring 2018. This three-story, 58,000 square foot facility will include new spaces such as a Makerspace and Digital Learning Lab, dedicated after school homework support centers, and a teen area, as well as greatly expanded library collections. The 21st Century Library is the most environmentally sustainable project ever constructed in Hayward, and when completed will be among the largest “Zero Net Energy” public buildings in the nation.
Depending upon assignment, duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops, implements and evaluates impactful library and educational services/programs that are responsive to the changing and varied needs of the local community, including services developed for children, teens, adults, seniors, the disabled and non-English speakers.
- Monitors and evaluates library and educational services programs for effectiveness and efficiency through the use of data and measurable outcomes; recommends and implements program changes in response to the changing needs of the program participants.
- Assists in the development and implementation of library program standards and evaluation methods that will ensure that library and educational services are reaching the intended population and meeting goals and objectives.
- Seeks and secures external funding to support program activities; participates with other library team members in resource development activities to create sustainable program operations and growth.
Any combination of equivalent experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would qualify. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities are:
- EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years of increasingly responsible professional public library experience.
- EDUCATION: Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Library Science. A Master’s degree in Library Science is desirable.
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Current best practices, procedures and techniques used in creating, delivering, and evaluating effective public library and community learning center services in an urban environment.
- Current technologies, resources, and other tools needed to plan and deliver effective library and community learning center services to various demographic groups.
- Modern library operational systems, including Integrated Library Systems, automated cataloging and processing systems, electronic resources and databases, reciprocal borrowing systems, materials movement systems, materials selection systems and processes, and modern electronic recordkeeping systems.
- Children’s and teen literature including knowledge of the various genres, sub-genres and subject areas of children’s and teen literature; knowledge of specific authors, titles and trends.
- Provide excellent customer service to a diverse community of urban public library and community learning center users.
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects and service demands efficiently and effectively.
Identify and adapt to changing community needs and service delivery models in an urban public library/learning centers.
- Coordinate and collaborate effectively with others to identify and achieve shared goals.
Completion of this Pre-qualification Questionnaire is required for your application to be considered and is an integral part of the examination process. Responses should be sufficiently detailed to assist in evaluating your qualifications for this position. Writing ‘see resume’ or ‘N/A’ is not a sufficient response.
Hourly Rate: $30.73-$37.32
Plus excellent benefits package: See the 2017 Benefit Summary on the City’s Human Resources webpage for more details.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Candidates must submit a completed job application online at http://www.hayward-ca.gov or http://www.GovernmentJobs.com. Paper applications can be obtained by visiting the Human Resources Department at Hayward City Hall. Application packets will be screened and candidates considered best qualified will move forward to a competitive recruitment process. The recruitment process may include a written examination, practical or performance examination, and/or oral interview. The recruitment process will result in an eligible register of candidates for hiring consideration by the department. The actual job offer will depend on the candidate’s success in the departmental selection process.
Full job description and application instructions available online.