POSITION TITLE: Senior Library Technician (Circulation Supervisor)
REPORTS TO: Director of Library, San Francisco
HOURS: 37.5 hours/week (some evening schedule required. Tuesday – Saturday)
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time, non-exempt
GRADE LEVEL: Library Grade 2
The Senior Library Technician (Circulation Supervisor), under the general direction of the Director of Library, San Francisco, is responsible for managing the day-to-day activities of Circulation for the San Francisco Library. The incumbent assists students, faculty, and staff with their library services needs and possesses a thorough knowledge of established library procedures and technical systems, trains and supervises student assistants. S/he works collaboratively with Interlibrary Loan, Collection Management Services, Research Services and Systems staff located on the Alliant San Francisco campus.
Alliant International University’s mission is to provide students with the highest quality of education through innovation in scholarship, applied training and research, and community service, particularly to underserved populations. The University’s goal is to equip students with the competencies they need to improve the quality of human life by addressing major contemporary social issues. Core competencies of the University’s training programs include cultural diversity, which is infused in courses and field placements and is manifest in the diversity of its students and faculty.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide a variety of circulation and resource sharing services, including being the Library staff point of contact evenings and weekends.
2. Interlibrary Loans/Materials Delivery: In cooperation with other institutions, use the OCLC and Articlereach systems to receive and process all Interlibrary loan requests for books, dissertations and journal articles from students and other libraries. Search and select potential loan sources. Receive and send requests via online systems, telephone, mail and FAX. Oversee LINK+ system, including lending and borrowing functions and courier service. Maintain complete and accurate files and statistics.
3. Stacks Maintenance: Oversee shelving of library materials, general shelf maintenance including shelf reading, searches for lost items, space planning, and shifting of the collection as needed.
4. Audiovisual Services: Schedule faculty and student requests for AV equipment use. Coordinate pick-up/delivery and return of equipment. Instruct patrons and the Interviewing and Observation classes in use of equipment, as necessary.
5. Communicate with a variety of library users, including Alliant International University faculty, students, and staff, and community patrons and with staff at other resource-sharing partner libraries as needed to answer questions, resolve delivery and/or access issues, and clarify Library procedures and Policy.
6. Hire, train, evaluate, and supervise student employees in all their circulation and resource sharing tasks.
7. Schedule student employees, monitor student work-study budget/earnings, and advise Library Director regarding budget and scheduling needs/issues
8. Ensure smooth functioning of the library, including working with Facilities Manager and University Information Services regarding any building or technology issues affecting the day-to-day running
JD Library Technician (Sr), Circulation Supervisor, Library, SF 2017-08-15 Page 2 of 3
of the library.
9. Ensure appropriate use of the library by all users, including Faculty, Staff and Student patrons. Keeps Library Director and Campus Public Safety informed of any potential situations at the library.
10. Other duties as assigned
Bachelor of Arts preferred.
One-two years of progressively responsible library supervisory experience in an academic library preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
Essential Job Functions:
The Circulation Supervisor manages the day-to-day activities of Circulation for the San Francisco Library. S/he works to update processes and procedures to keep pace with the changing library environment and patron needs. Interact orally and in writing with students, faculty, staff and the public clearly and courteously
Possesses critical thinking skills.
Some decision-making on day-to-day tasks, as well as willingness to ask questions and seek assistance.
Computer and technology competence is essential as well as excellent interpersonal and strong customer service skills.
This position supervises (with Director of Library) 8+ student employees, including hiring, training and evaluation.
• Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking English
• Knowledge of the organization of academic libraries and the Library of Congress call numbers
• Sensitivity to cultural diversity and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of all ages and diverse background
• Proven ability to work effectively as a team player
• Highly motivated, focused and results oriented
• Ability to exercise discretion and tact in all interpersonal contacts, and to maintain confidentiality at all times
• Ability to manage multiple tasks according to required deadlines
• Maintain composure under high stress conditions
• Ability to be optimistic, positive and supportive in all interactions with others
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail
Background Check Requirements:
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
To apply for Job – apply at https://www.alliant.edu/advanced-search/jobs/