LIBRARY ASSOCIATE – HISTORY AND GENEALOGY LIBRARY
20 HOURS PER WEEK – PART-TIME
Please go to https://www.calopps.org/sonoma-county-library for a complete job description, benefit information and to apply.
We are seeking a customer service-oriented library professional with excellent communication skills for our Library Associate position. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in Sonoma County’s history and genealogy and the desire to assist patrons by using research to answer questions, providing instruction on the use of on-line catalogs, and other tools. The position is located at the History and Genealogy Library next to the Central Library in Santa Rosa, CA.
Under general supervision, this part-time position performs a variety of duties that follow established procedures and involve a variety of library support services such as reference, and collection maintenance and management; provides direct patron support through instruction and aids in the use of library resources; and performs related duties as required.
TYPICAL TASKS include, but are not limited to:
- Uses library resources as needed to respond to patrons’ reference questions.
- Advises patrons of library policies, procedures, and services in person and over the telephone.
- Instructs patrons in the use of library equipment and resources including the Internet; conducts subject searches.
- Assists with collection maintenance by determining condition of materials and mending, discarding, or labeling as needed.
- Regularly participates in shelf maintenance activities and performs other duties as assigned within the scope of classification.
Education and Experience: Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; and two (2) years of work experience in library services. Spanish bilingual skills preferred.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Some familiarity with standard historical and genealogical resources, both print and digital (with knowledge of local history and genealogy being desirable).
- Experience using an online catalog and database system.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software, and online email and calendaring systems.