The Library Operations Manager is responsible for developing and enforcing circulation and reserves policies and practices that allow for equitable and ethical access to library space and collections for the entire CIIS community, in collaboration with the Circulation Supervisor. Additionally, this position is responsible for ensuring the library and its staff are equipped to provide a high level of service to the academic community at CIIS at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Keep the Circulation manual and policies documents up to date, and work jointly Library Director and Circulation Supervisor to develop and maintain circulation policies that serve the CIIS community.
- Assist with supervision of Circulation staff, in collaboration with the Circulation Supervisor.
- Track physical Library usage.
- Monitor overdue and fine notices in Koha (the Library’s ILS), handle correspondence and inquiries regarding Library circulation (overdues/fines); and follow up with patrons on lost and damaged book issues.
- Work with Business Office to resolve patron fines issues when needed.
- Initiate Registration holds on delinquent accounts.
- Administer to Associate Member accounts (Alum and Friend of the Library).
- Maintain office files.
- Order and maintain supplies.
- Record and acknowledge donations to the Library.
- Serve as liaison with Operations & Facilities for initiating and tracking work orders.
- Tracks Library staff schedules; serves as the “go-to” person for last-minute schedule changes.
- Planning for and collaborating with Library staff to set calendaring for space and services, in collaboration with Systems Librarian.
- Record and distribute minutes for biweekly Library staff meetings.
- Communicate with Registrar’s Office re: end-of-semester lists; processes graduation clearance paperwork.
- Responsible for circulation services in the absence of Circulation Staff.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
- Manage academic course reserves process.
- Support, train, and communicate with faculty about reserves process and policies.
- Communicate copyright compliance and best practices established by CIIS.
- Delegate processing of course reserves to Circulation Supervisor and student workers.
- Hire, train, and supervise student worker(s) to assist with reserves processing, in collaboration with Circulation Supervisor.
- Assist with acquisition of items for reserves and participate in regular collection development, in collaboration with the Cataloging Librarian.
- Handle invoices and check requests; is primary contact with the Business Office for Library operating expenses. Manages Library bookkeeping and accounts payable (both paper and computer files).
- Keep daily tally of Circulation cash box and makes periodic deposits with Business Office.
- Process and submit transmittals for credit card payments for Library fees and fines.
- Assist the Library Director, as requested, with budget records and calculations.
- Assist with set-up, advertising, and financial management for Library book sales.
- Stay current with advances and concepts in applicable library fields.
- Take trainings and courses on product changes, technical advancements, and new concepts as needed.
- Advise colleagues and the Director on developments in libraries, and making recommendations for policy and procedure changes.
Minimum of one year’s experience, in an academic library setting, in the following areas:
- Providing excellent customer service (in-person, on the telephone and via email).
- Large-scale purchasing for office supplies and library materials.
- Demonstrating professionalism in all communications.
- Taking, applying and tracking payments and handling invoices and purchase orders; some light accounting experience is preferred.
- Keeping accurate records.
- Using MS Office Suite (especially Excel and Outlook 365).
- Working cooperatively and flexibly in a busy office and across departments, successfully balancing priorities and multitasking.
- Hiring, scheduling, managing and training of entry-level staff.
- Library certificate or degree.
- Experience working at a circulation desk.
- Experience using Koha or other integrated library system, Springshare LibApps,
- OCLC products, ADP or other personnel time management software, Jenzabar EX or equivalent educational administrative database.
- Collection development and acquisitions of library resources in all formats.
- Conversant with Copyright law and current interpretations of Fair Use.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
NOTES TO CANDIDATE
- Working Conditions — Duties are primarily performed in an office environment at a desk or computer terminal, typically, Monday through Friday; however, some weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Background Check — Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position. If your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to provide proof of a valid driver’s license.
- Visa Sponsorship — Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Relocation Assistance — This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio- economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. We seek to increase the presence, representation and inclusion of U.S. historically under-represented people of color, international, bilingual and bicultural students, faculty and staff; and, to provide an environment that will attract and retain individuals identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex (LGBTQQI).
Screening begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please submit a Resume and Cover Letter to apply online at: https://ciis.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=96410