Do you have a passion for library technical services with a dedication to public services and a knack for creative problem solving? The Mechanics’ Institute is seeking an energetic, team player to lead the Library’s Technical Services Department.
- Provide leadership, oversight, and management of all Library technical services operations (acquisitions, cataloging, serials, e-resources, and the integrated library system).
- Develop goals, priorities and strategies for the department; lead the planning process within the department; coordinate the workflow between technical services and other Library departments; create and manage documentation of workflows and best practices in the Library’s technical services department.
- Supervise the maintenance of the Library’s bibliographic and authority databases, and work towards improving the overall discovery of information for the Mechanics’ Institute community.
- Lead efforts to efficiently and effectively use MARC21, Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC), and Resource Description and Access (RDA) standards (as well as related and emerging initiatives) to organize, represent, and report on library collections in the Institute’s library catalog and other online systems.
- Oversee the library’s serial holdings and subscriptions
- Coordinate the library’s instructional programs; scheduling classes and communicating with staff and non-staff instructors
- Function within the Institute as the chief advocate of technical services’ needs.
- Provides reference services and teaches library instruction classes.
- Manages assigned areas of the Library collection.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- ALA-accredited MLIS.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MARC, RDA, AACR2, DDC, and LCSH.
- Experience working with an ILS, preferably Millennium.
- Experience working with OCLC Connexion and MarcEdit.
- Excellent customer service aptitude and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Commitment to professional development and staying current with trends and developments in technical services and the library profession.
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is a full time exempt position.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive benefits package.
- Send cover letter, resume, and desired salary range to email@example.com and include “Head of Technical Services” in the subject line.
- Deadline to apply: May 20, 2018, 12 midnight PDT.