The Library Technician: Materials Library, Circulation and Cataloging is responsible for
maintenance and operation of the Materials Library on the San Francisco campus, as well
as performing circulation and cataloging duties in Simpson Library. Materials Library duties
include public services, cataloging, creation and management of digital image files, and
creation and management of visual displays both in the library and online. Additional
projects include processing inter library loan requests using WorldShare ILL, and other
project-based work as assigned.
Materials Library: Public service and management of physical library – 50%
- Creates and maintains housing and arrangement of samples.
- Assists students and faculty using the collection.
- Provides class presentations when requested by faculty
- Checks samples in and out, following established library policy and procedures.
- Assists with acquisition of new material samples.
- Collects statistics and other data about collection use.
- Performs inventory and other tasks.
- Works with supervisor to:
- Create and manage visual displays both in the library and online
- Maintain the social media presence of the Materials Librar
- Supervise work-study students when shifts overlap
- Assist in training of work-study students
- Verify work-study hours with Public Services Manager
- Materials cataloging and management
- Creates and maintains catalog records in Koha (ILS).
- Photographs samples and manages digital image files for use in the library catalog.
Simpson Library Public service and circulation desk coverage – 40%
- Handles circulation transactions for library materials, following set circulation policies and procedures.
- Creates and edits patron records in Koha (ILS).
- Answers basic informational and directional questions by telephone and in-person.
- Answers basic technical questions related to use of the computer lab, scanners, printers and photocopier.
- Supervises reading room and stack areas, maintaining order and cleanliness.
- Re-shelves books.
- Works with Facilities and Public Safety to maintain library security and safety of patrons.
Additional projects as assigned – 10%
- Inter Library Loan Processing using WorldShare ILL.
- Maintain the New Book shelf
- Cataloging assistance and other collection maintenance projects
- Library Technician certificate or previous library experience.
- Ability to perform accurate data entry following established guidelines.
- Ability to take digital photographs, edit them for online use, and organize them in Library’s online catalog.
- Good communication skills for working with students, faculty, and staff.
- General aptitude with online and digital technologies.
- Interest in and familiarity with materials used in design is highly desirable.
Bachelor degree preferred, preferably in an art or design related field.
Applicants are required to attach a cover letter and resume. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Recommended document file formats are Word or PDF. If there are multiple attachments, we recommend compressing/zipping your files into a zip format file. There is also a place in the application for you to provide a link to large documents. Please submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions.
For staff positions, screening begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
As an educational and cultural institution, California College of the Arts has a responsibility to provide access and opportunities for all people, with special attention to supporting groups historically underrepresented in higher education.
We believe that a culturally diverse campus is integral to academic excellence, and our student, faculty, staff, and trustee bodies should reflect the diverse world in which we live, with attention to race, ethnicity, religious creed, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and ability.
California College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
Please address any questions to email@example.com.
Full job description and application instructions available online.