Reports to: Provost
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Supervises: Faculty and Staff Librarians (2 full-time faculty, 1 or more part-time staff), Access Services Manager, Library Assistant for Technical Services, Archivist.
Initial review of applications begins July 23, 2018.
The Gellert Library at Notre Dame de Namur University seeks a forward-thinking, dynamic, and service-oriented Director of Library Services. S/he will provide strategic leadership for all functions of the Library, serve as the primary advocate for the Library, and oversee the delivery of on and off-campus library services for Notre Dame de Namur University. This position serves an advisory role to University administration regarding future enhancements of Library services.
The Director of Library Services is responsible for the management of the Library, including but not limited to:
- Providing innovative, results-oriented leadership in the development of services to faculty, students, researchers, and the NDNU community
- Managing day-to-day operation of the Library including services, collections, and facilities, as well as training and supervision of library faculty and staff
- Promoting the services and collections of the Library to the diverse University community
- Overseeing and managing the continual development of the Library’s active and highly utilized information literacy instruction/assessment program
- Preparing and administering the Library’s annual budget
- Researching and implementing enhancements to existing library technology
- Overseeing and managing an effective library web presence
- Preparing statistical reports, surveys, self-studies, and analyses of library services
- Conducting targeted assessment to improve information literacy instruction, collections, and operations tailored to patron needs
- Developing and implementing long-range plans for growth and improvement of facilities, collections, and services that reflect the evolving changes in scholarship
- Remaining current with library trends, use of library technology, and the provision of services to today’s library
- Seeking innovative and creative ways to market, enhance, and improve Library services
- Strategically collaborating with other campus units to promote innovative services to NDNU students, faculty, and staff
- Creating a library environment (physical space as well as through services provided) that promotes the wellbeing of our inclusive, diverse community
Working occasional nights and weekends may be necessary to complete the requirements of the position.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science
- Six years of successful experience in an academic library, including at least three years of supervisory experience at the level of a department head or above
- Understanding of emerging technologies and demonstrated expertise with the implementation of technologies in an academic library environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan, document, and complete projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and to diverse audiences
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse faculty, students, and staff, as well as demonstrated commitment to promote diversity and inclusion
- Creativity to develop and implement library programs and services
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Successful supervisory experience as evidenced by in-depth knowledge and understanding of staff supervision, demonstrated success in effective leadership, and the ability to promote teamwork and professional development
- Second subject Master’s Degree or a doctoral degree
- A background in implementing current and emerging library technologies, such as an ILS system, proxy servers, and web design
- Experience developing grant proposals
NDNU is committed to providing an educational environment that supports a diverse student population. In your cover letter, please include information about how you have created equitable library experiences for a diverse student population, and what qualities you would bring to supporting NDNU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
Full job description and application instructions available online.