The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
ABOUT THE JOB:
The Research & Learning Services Specialist works closely with colleagues to support the reference and instruction needs of students and faculty. Provides research help to students. Contributes to the planning, scheduling and implementation of activities intended to increase students’ awareness and adoption of library services and their ability to find, use, and manage information. Tests, assesses, and administers online tools for reference and instruction purposes to ensure their effective implementation and ongoing currency. Updates and prepares materials for instructional use and aids the integration of those items into the course management system. Supports informed decision making and reporting, through data analysis and participation in assessment endeavors.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and 5 years of directly related professional experience, or equivalent experience/training.
- Exemplifies excellent customer service skills. Responds effectively to online and in-person reference inquires.
- Demonstrates significant knowledge of and skill in using library online databases and resources.
- Possesses excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates strong collaborative skills and the ability to complete assignments independently.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of Microsoft Windows based computer programs, especially Excel, and HTML. Possesses an ability to learn, master, and implement new technologies.
- Advanced problem-solving skills to address challenges and propose solutions.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates effective data collections methods and excellent analysis skills.
- Evidence of effectively managing and improving processes.
- Takes initiative and exhibits an ability to prioritize work in an environment with multiple functions.
- Demonstrates experience providing training and feedback with the ability to adapt to specific audiences.
- Maintains complete discretion, confidentiality, sensitivity, and professional judgment.
To Apply: Click and the follow the “Apply Online” link on the UC Merced site
If you do not have internet access you may mail your application, resume, and cover letter to: University of California, Merced, 5200 North Lake Rd., Merced CA 95343. Please list the job number on the subject line.
Closing Date: August 31st, 2018
Salary: $55,000 – $60,000