Under general supervision, this part-time position performs a wide range of library tasks; assists patrons by answering reference and other questions and in selecting library materials; and performs related duties as required.
In addition to performing public services tasks in the Healdsburg Regional Library, this position also provides assistance in the Sonoma County Wine Library (located within the Healdsburg Library). The ideal candidate will have the knowledge and abilities to support both aspects of the position.
The schedule for this position will require Saturday work hours.
TYPICAL TASKS include, but are not limited to:
- Receives and responds to questions from patrons concerning resources; answers reference questions from patrons or directs more difficult reference questions to appropriate librarian.
- Advises patrons of library policies, procedures, and services in person and over the telephone.
- Uses the online catalog and other resources to assist patrons in locating and selecting books and reference materials; instructs patrons in the use of library equipment and resources including the Internet; conducts subject searches.
- Uses a computer to enter and retrieve information, locate library materials and charge and discharge materials; receives and processes requests and holds.
- May assist in compiling booklists and pathfinders and answering reference questions in the area of specialty.
- Receives inter-library loan requests; searches relevant database systems; confirms orders; upon receipt, verifies order and forwards item to patron; follows-up on items to ensure a timely return to originating library.
- Assists the Branch Manager or others with various administrative tasks and programs.
- Maintains shelf order; collects and accounts for fees and fines and makes deposits as necessary; keeps library records; writes reports.
Education and Experience: Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; and two (2) years of work experience in library services. Spanish bilingual skills preferred.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Principles and practices of paraprofessional library work, including library reference, readers’ advisory, and other library services.
- Principles, techniques, and procedures in cataloging, indexing, classifying, and organizing library materials.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and Library staff.
- Organize own work and the work of others, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Interpret, explain, and apply all relevant Library policies and procedures, and applicable Federal and State laws, codes, and regulations.
- Use computer and other technology, including software, hardware, and the Internet sufficient to be able to assist customers, conduct research, prepare reports, and use email and other communications technologies.
SALARY RANGE: $24.24/hour to $30.28/hour plus prorated benefits
CLOSING DATE: 5:00 p.m., Monday, September 3, 2018
To apply, visit CalOpps