The Mechanics’ Institute (MI) is seeking a Programming Librarian to support the work of the organization. Reporting to the Library Director, the ideal candidate will contribute to the MI community’s intellectual and creative growth and will develop dynamic programs and activities that foster camaraderie and learning. The candidate must work as part of a team, be flexible and service-oriented, and be eager to make a difference in the Bay Area community at large.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide friendly and professional library services to members and guests, including reference service and reader’s advisory, technology assistance, and handling circulation of materials
- Perform collection development
- Coordinate the library instructional program and teach classes on resources and other topics
- Manage creative displays and exhibits
- Coordinate book groups
- Support existing programs and services
- Plan new and innovative programs and services, and provide audiovisual/tech support for those programs
- Lead public tours of the Institute
- Masters in Library Science
- Program planning, presentation, and training experience
- Digital literacy
- Experience or willingness to learn audiovisual technology, including projectors, microphones, and speakers
- Excellent customer service skills – ability to communicate with members, donors, staff, and the public in a friendly and professional manner by phone, email, and in person
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Availability to work occasional weekends and evenings
- Be comfortable with addressing small and large groups
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- A comprehensive benefits package is offered.
- Membership to Mechanics’ Institute is included.
- Send cover letter and resume to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and include “Programming Librarian” in the subject line.
- Include salary requirement (a range is fine).
- Position will remain open until filled.
- No phone calls please.
Full job description is available here.