The Mechanics’ Institute (MI) is seeking a Library Assistant to support the work of the organization. Reporting to the Library Manager, the Library Assistant performs customer service, clerical, and technical tasks typical of a small, busy library. Library Assistants staff the circulation desk, providing courteous and accurate service to Mechanics’ Institute members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- checking out and receiving library materials
- keeping accurate circulation records
- registering new members
- receiving and recording payment of fines
- materials processing
- shelving and shelf-reading using alphabetical and Dewey Decimal classification systems
- utilizing a computer to retrieve information and input data
- creating library documents such as holds slips, overdue notices, paging lists, and other related documents
- articulating library policies and procedures to library members
- providing information and assistance to library members and visitors
- providing assistance with and troubleshooting of public and workstation computers
- handling other tasks as assigned
- customer service experience
- fluency in use of computers and technology
- experience using Millennium software or demonstrating the ability to learn new systems and software
- ability to work independently
- effective communication skills – with patrons, colleagues, and supervisors
- availability to work weekends and evenings, with occasional on-call shifts
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a part-time, non-exempt position.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Membership to Mechanics’ Institute is included.
- Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Library Assistant” in the subject line.
- Include salary requirement (a range is fine).
- Position will remain open until filled.
- No phone calls please.