The Menlo College Bowman Library seeks a creative, dynamic, innovative, and team-oriented individual for the position of Library Assistant. This is a part-time position during the semester, reporting to the Dean of Library Services. The position is 20 hours per week, Sundays through Thursdays from 8pm through midnight during the Fall and Spring semesters.
The Library Assistant’s primary responsibilities include providing research and user services at the Library Desk during the evening. Bowman Library is a small, dynamic library focused on serving the population of Menlo College. Menlo is a small, urban, diverse, 4-year residential college granting degrees in Business and Psychology; it is located in Atherton, CA. The library team cultivates and maintains strong relationships with faculty; nurtures an understanding of Menlo College teaching programs; and collaborates on campus-centered initiatives to deliver timely and effective library services.
This position is a great opportunity for a Library Sciences student or a recent graduate who seeks to develop alternative ways of providing library services and gain professional experience. Bowman Library allows and fosters a space of innovation and experimentation in a small academic library setting focused on student-centered initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to providing excellent public service in a dynamic environment.
Minimal Qualifications and Skills
- Working knowledge of library methods and procedures
- Attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service
- An ALA-accredited MLIS or coursework in Library Science
- Conversant in user services
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to set priorities, direct work, manage time, and multi-task
- Ability to work harmoniously with colleagues, faculty, staff and students in a busy, changing environment
Screening of applications will begin immediately; the position will be open until filled.
Full job description is available here.