Contra Costa County encourages interested candidates to consider this exceptional career opportunity with one of the Bay Area’s most progressive and respected libraries. Permanent full-time and part-time vacancies may be filled from the results of this examination. Initial assignments may be as a Youth Services Librarian, Adult/Teen Services Librarian, Collection Development Librarian, or Juvenile Hall Librarian.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following:
- Partnering with community-based organizations and community groups to promote library services
- Developing innovative programs to build literacy, further education, and foster a love of reading
- Promoting our collections and reading through readers advisory, recommendation lists, blog entries, author talks, book discussions, and other innovative methods
- Fostering digital literacy and providing age-appropriate technology instruction
- Developing collections and the space itself, ensuring a safe and inviting area
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
- Passion for creating an environment that encourages patrons to follow their interests, discover new ones, learn from their peers, and embrace reading
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience providing customer and reference service
- Ability to create and conduct innovative programs
To read the complete job description, please visit the website, www.cccounty.us/hr. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for one year.
- Searches for subject information requested from community libraries
- Conducts reference searches using a variety of database online and other search techniques
- Provides general reference and reader’s advisory services to the public
- Compiles book lists on various subjects
- Prepares bibliographic records for inclusion in library online resources
- Checks bibliographic resources to locate publishing information and/or reviews
- Searches bibliographic sources for locations of materials to be borrowed on inter-library loan
- Checks published materials to ascertain facts required to order new books
- Suggests the addition/deletion of books, reference materials, audio and video, electronic media and other library materials
- Assists and advises patrons regarding the use of library materials and equipment, including automated catalog and internet software
- Conducts outreach or on-site programs for various age groups
- Explains library policies to patrons and staff
- Recommends acquisition of equipment and policy and procedure revisions to improve patron service and efficiency
- Maintains accurate records and files
- Prepares reports, information materials and other written materials
- May train and direct work of other paraprofessional and/or clerical support staff
- May represent the library in meetings with the community or special interest groups; participates in Library committees and support projects
- Directs the preparation of exhibits and displays suitable to the needs of the community, organizes and presents programs suitable to their subject/age specialization
- Participates in continual assessment and weeding of collections, including analysis of use patterns, assessment of community needs and development of action plans to improve marketing of library materials
License Required: Candidates must possess and maintain throughout the duration of employment a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator’s license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science, from a school of librarianship accredited by the American Library Association.
Experience: Two (2) years experience in a customer oriented environment.
Full job description available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/contracosta?keywords=librarian.