The Contra Costa County Library is currently recruiting to fill one vacant Community Library Manager position for the Moraga Community Library. The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies at other community libraries. Contra Costa County operates over 26 community libraries within a 750 square mile area and serves close to 1 million urban, suburban and rural customers with an annual circulation exceeding 5.5 million.
Community Library Managers are responsible for day-to-day administration and operation of a full service community library. Responsibilities include applying individual judgment and influence to manage human, financial and physical resources in a community library and supervise the activities of professional, paraprofessional technical and/or clerical level positions involved in library support and service activities; plan, develop and implement community library goals, objectives, policies and procedures; collaborate with City staff in the planning and development of library programs and services; assess community library needs and formulate proposals and policies and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following:
- Knowledge of library methods, techniques and procedures
- Ability to assume community leadership and evaluate the needs of the community library
- Experience with the principles and techniques involved in the operation and administration of public libraries
- Effective supervision and mentorship of staff; including the ability to lead, train, coach, and provide feedback to subordinate staff
- Exhibits effective communication skills; establish professional relationships with individuals and groups
Read the complete job description at www.cccounty.us/hr. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for one year and may be used to fill future vacancies at other community library locations in Contra Costa County.
- Plan, organize and manage the activities of a community library ; ensure the efficient and effective delivery of high quality library services to the general public
- Plan, develop and implement community library goals, objectives, policies and procedures that reflect the County Library’s mission and services
- Act autonomously to develop and maintain relationships with City leaders, community organizations, local businesses, schools, service clubs and “Friends of the Library” organizations, and make presentations to these organizations.
- Collaborate with City staff in the planning and development of library programs and services
- Plan and prepare the community library’s budgetary needs; develop budget justification for staffing, service and materials; monitor and reconcile financial resources for county and city, grants, and donations from community organizations, businesses and library friends/foundation organizations
- Manage professional level librarians, technical and/or clerical staff; exercise independent judgment in the selection, training and evaluation of staff; make assignments and counsel employees on work-related issues and take disciplinary action as necessary in accordance with County and department guidelines and direction, regulations or applicable MOU
- Manage task forces in the development of County Library policies and procedures, committee projects or special assignments and make recommendations; interpret library policies and procedures to staff and the public
- Assess community library needs and formulate proposals and policies to support such needs within the County Library and the community
- Manage building security and maintenance issues which may include surrounding grounds; evaluate architectural drawings to assess new library interior designs, layouts, and circulation needs, and make recommendations
- Anticipate and recommend computer technology needs and planning, including internet access and software, and web based research services
- Manage acquisition and collection development, including any specialized collections; participate in centralized collection development to ensure collection materials meet the community’s needs
- Library methods, techniques and procedures
- Laws and regulations relating to library operations
- Principles and techniques involved in the operation and administration of modern public libraries;
- Fiscal planning and accountability
- General management practices, supervision and training
- Library automation, including basic computer (PC) applications and emerging technologies
- Public information, public relations and community partnerships
- Assume leadership for community library and identify and evaluate diverse community library needs and services; implement new programs and services
- Demonstrate a strong customer service orientation
- Formulate and implement effective and efficient library policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain relevant library collections and programs
- Exercise effective interpersonal skills in dealing with subordinates, County and City staff, community/business leaders, and the public
- Develop community support by promoting community participation and enthusiasm in library services, and by making presentations before groups;
- Effectively manage and train professional and support personnel; formulate goals and standards
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Analyze budget needs
- Write and speak effectively
- Develop and effectively utilize all available library resources, and effectively contribute to the Library Department’s overall mission and goals
Education: Possession of a Master of Library Science degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or equivalent curriculum.
Experience: Two (2) years of full-time equivalent professional/supervisory library experience.
Three (3) years full-time equivalent experience working in a library, which may include two (2) years as support staff, technician or paraprofessional, and at least one (1) year at a professional/supervisory level.
Full job description available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/contracosta/jobs/2439922/community-library-manager