About the Position
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) works collaboratively with the City Librarian to lead the Library’s executive leadership team in planning, evaluating, and directing the operations of major activities and functions of the Library. The focus of this position will be comprehensive planning and fiscal oversight of the organization’s major support divisions including: Finance, Facilities, Human Resources, Information Technology, and
Research, Strategy & Analytics. The COO is responsible for approximately 175 FTE and a $75 million budget, including a $29 million capital budget. This position reports to the City Librarian and will function as the Library’s second in command.
The successful candidate will have a track record in financial and fiscal management in the public sector; experience managing capital projects; possess outstanding planning and project management skills; strong presentation and public speaking skills; and the ability to foster a collaborative working environment and strategic vision that incourages innovative thinking to advance library services for the provision of excellent public service.
Application and Selection Process
Interested individuals are encouraged to apply by June 14, 2019 by submitting a letter of interest, resume and three (3) work related professional references via email to Vivian.Yeung@sfpl.org. Only qualified candidates who most closely meet the needs of the SFPL will be invited to continue to the next steps of the selection process. Applicants may direct any questions regarding this recruitment or application process to Vivian.Yeung@sfpl.org or (415) 557-4581.
Examples of duties, responsibilities, and specific areas of oversight include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Oversees the organizational structure, policies and procedures, staff assignments, service levels, and administrative systems for the Library Support Divisions (Finance, Facilities, HR, IT, and Research, Strategy & Analytics) required to accomplish the
Library’s mission and objectives in an effective and efficient manner;
• Directs the identification and analysis of opportunities for service enhancements; coordinates change management and project management for assigned functional areas;
• Directs the development and implementation of the Library’s capital and operational budgets; leads data-informed budget and expenditure decisions for the Library; oversees fiscal activities to ensure expenditures adhere to the approved budget; meets compliance
requirements; ensures expenditures are fiscally prudent, and are in alignment with the Library’s mission and strategic plan;
• Directs the development and implementation of timely division goals and strategic plans; manages the allocation of resources for optimal organizational performance;
• Performs a lead role in updating the Library’s strategic plan and capital plans; and developing and maintaining a comprehensive technology plan and organizational hiring plan;
• Consults with the Mayor/Mayor’s staff regarding the activities of the assigned functional areas and coordinates with other City departments in addressing service needs; may represent the Library before or provide information to commissions, boards, committees
and representatives from federal, state and local agencies, organizations, and the media; serves as the department head in their absence;
• Oversees departmental participation in community benefit districts and centralized city service initiatives and/or multi-agency capital planning efforts;
• Provides analyses of legislative changes at various levels of government and coordinates local legislation with the Mayor and Board of Supervisors;
• Coordinates departmental audits, audit responses, and corrective action plans;
• Develops and implements policies, goals, and objectives, and ensures the enforcement of all applicable laws, ordinances, and regulations for the department; and
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned