Under general direction from the County Librarian or a Deputy County Librarian, the Library Services Manager plans, organizes, directs, and evaluates major system-wide County Library programs and services. This classification serves as a member of the Library Management team, and is responsible for planning, budgeting, personnel, and other administrative activities. Incumbents may provide direct oversight to a number of Community Library Managers.
To read the complete job description, please visit the website, www.cccounty.us/hr. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six months.
TENTATIVE EXAM DATES
Tentative Oral Interview: November 11, 2019
- Assumes responsibility for the Library Department in the absence of the County Librarian or Deputy County Librarian
- Administer all activities of the assigned functional area including evaluating resources, personnel, facilities, and long-range program planning
- Work with community library managers in translating the Library’s broad objectives and strategic plans into programs and activities supporting such goals
- Assess day-to-day branch Library staffing needs, direct absence management staff, establish and review performance standards
- Analyze operations to evaluate performance of its staff in meeting objectives
- Oversee and assist in obtaining available outside funding when available through grants and/or donations
- Provide, policy, advice and assistance to Deputy County Librarians on staff development and training, operational trends, and library strategic goals
- Ensures the confidentiality and that the Library Department policies and procedures are followed
- Consult with community library managers to advise on program services, implementation of new policies, procedures and practices
- Confer with executive team to implement and conduct surveys to identify training needs based on projected production processes, changes and other factors
- Monitors the budget for assigned program areas, recommends budget requests for implementation of new program initiatives
- Serve as the management advisor and consultant to system-wide advisory and operational committees, may lead special task teams and new project initiatives
- Direct and/or prepare a variety of narrative and statistical reports, correspondence, procedures and other written materials
- Make presentations to executive team, staff, the public, organizations, agencies and governmental entities
- Train, supervise and evaluate assigned staff
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
License Required: Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator’s license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master of Library Science Degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
Experience: Three (3) years full-time or its equivalent experience in library management or in a public, major business, or large academic library program and services development: two (2) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Application Filing: All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date. A completed Supplemental Questionnaire is required.
- Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
- Oral Interview: Conducted by a Qualifications Appraisal Board who will evaluate candidates in job-related areas. Candidates must receive a score of at least 70, which may be an adjusted score, in order to be ranked on the employment list. (Weighted 100%)