The Mechanics’ Institute seeks a full-time Development Director. This position is responsible for creating membership engagement strategies and programs, developing fundraising opportunities, and cultivating relationships with new and existing members and major gifts donors. An ability to engage members and donors and reach out to the community-at-large is essential. Strong public speaking, relationship development, and the ability to communicate our organization’s mission with diverse audiences are key. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and collaborates with the leadership team and the Board of Trustees to ensure that the mission of Mechanics’ Institute is communicated to the public and that programs are supported financially through institutional and individual giving.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees all institutional and individual giving and membership engagement activities.
- Trains, coaches, and supports staff and trustees in creating and helping drive membership activities and cultivate relationships with potential and current members and donors.
- Manages relationships with members and donors, with an emphasis on helping donors achieve their philanthropic goals and engage with Mechanics’ Institute in meaningful ways.
- Leads development and membership staff, creates departmental strategies, and collaborates with leadership team to further institutional goals.
- Manages systems and software to track and cultivate members, donors, and prospects, including donor and membership databases and wealth screening tools.
- Acknowledges major donors through public and private recognition
- Works collaboratively as part of the Institute’s leadership team and with the Board of Trustees on strategic initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required with at least five (5) years of fundraising and major donor experience, including an understanding of ‘moves management’ or other donor stewardship methods. Comfort with direct face-to-face solicitations and major giving portfolio development. Experience in planned giving and/or capital campaigns a plus.
- Experience working with board members, leadership staff, and community leaders. Excellent communications skills, including excellent writing, ability to coordinate with programming and events, and comfort with public speaking.
- A successful track record of being able to establish and steward relationships and conduct outreach with community groups and individuals.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills. The ability to maintain strategic thinking while not losing sight of the details needed to ensure successful cultivation of relationships and partnerships.
- Technology savvy, with experience in Microsoft Office required and database management preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time exempt position
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Healthcare and other paid benefits
- Membership to Mechanics’ Institute
- Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Development Director” in the subject line
- Desired Salary (a range is fine)
- Position will remain open until filled
- No phone calls please