The Mechanics’ Institute seeks a Desktop Support Specialist (PT). The ideal candidate is responsible for providing customer service, technical assistance, and general support related to computer systems, hardware, and/or software, and peripherals. Reporting to the Operations Director, the Specialist is part of a small group that works in providing excellence in operations and end user experience. The position requires strong customer service, technology, and organizational skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports use of Windows-based desktop environment and associated networked equipment in offices and public workstations.
- Provides technical support and training to staff and members who use Institute systems for their day-to-day activities.
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuring, installation, and deployment of desktop infrastructure, hardware, and software.
- Provides helpdesk and communications support. Maintains a high level of customer service with members and staff. Responds to inquiries via phone, email, and in person.
- Troubleshoots and resolves hardware and software related issues, hard disk failures, data recovery, security updates, and other technology related services.
- Coordinates with IT staff in managing central services, accounts, and permissions (e.g. Active Directory, Windows network, staff email, and email lists).
- Administers local and cloud servers used for file sharing. Performs routine back up of essential systems.
- Assists in the documentation of programs, databases, and computer system configurations.
- Assists with AV services and event programming as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Strong working knowledge of installing, configuring, and troubleshooting computer systems and applications.
- Experience working with different operating systems including Windows and Mac OS.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory and group administration.
- Experience with management and troubleshooting of servers and cloud services, monitoring and security procedures, instituting backup policies, and DNS management.
- Keeps current with developing technology, best practices, and emerging trends.
- Excellent customer service skills – ability to communicate with staff, guests, and members in a friendly and professional manner by phone, email, and in person.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines. High attention to detail.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a part-time non-exempt position
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Membership to Mechanics’ Institute
- Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Desktop Support Specialist” in the subject line
- Hourly rate requirement (a range is fine)
- Position will remain open until filled
- No phone calls please