The Mechanics’ Institute seeks a Serials Library Assistant to provide periodicals processing and maintenance, public service assistance, management of homebound outreach, and administrative support. Reporting to the Head of Technical Services, this person provides excellent customer service at the library’s public service desks, including troubleshooting, quick reference, instructional assistance, membership processing, and articulating policies and procedures to members as needed.
The ideal candidate enjoys working with people and has customer service and database experience. Attention to detail and organizational skills are critical to this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the daily processing and check-in of periodical titles, maintenance of holdings, and special projects related to the collection.
- Promotes use of periodical collection via marketing in print, online, and through interaction with members.
- Collaborates with library staff on annual additions/deletions to serials collection.
- Manages Outreach program that provides homebound members with circulation service of library materials.
- Shelves materials and maintains the periodicals and browsing collections of the library.
- Provides service to members and guests at public service counters.
- Responsible for administrative duties including ordering supplies, mail services, and other tasks as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service skills – ability to communicate with members, staff, and the public in a friendly and professional manner by phone, email, and in person.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines. High attention to detail.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Availability to work Sunday-Thursday.
- Proficiency with MS Office.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time non-exempt position
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Healthcare and other paid benefits
- Membership to Mechanics’ Institute
- Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Serials Library Assistant” in the subject line
- Salary requirement (a range is fine)
- Position will remain open until filled
- No phone calls please