|Cataloging and Metadata Coordinator, San Francisco State Univeristy|
The Cataloging and Metadata Coordinator provides leadership to the cataloging unit and lead
work direction to cataloging staff. In addition to performing original cataloging and complex
metadata creation, the Cataloging and Metadata Coordinator will lead planning, evaluation, and
implementation of metadata and cataloging policies, standards, procedures, and workflows, as
well as represent the library in implementing CSU-wide consortial level cataloging policies and
procedures, such as those related to the shared Ex Libris Alma/Primo Unified Library
Management System (ULMS).
• Provide original and complex copy cataloging in a contemporary MARC-based
environment according to national, consortial, and local standards.
• Lead planning, evaluation, and implementation of metadata and cataloging policies,
standards, procedures, and workflows.
• Provide lead work direction to staff in the cataloging unit.
• Implement, assess, and refine metadata workflows, policies, and procedures for the
library’s digital collections, including special collections.
• Lead the library in implementing CSU-wide consortial level cataloging policies and
procedures, such as those related to the shared ExLibris Alma/Primo Unified Library
Management System (ULMS).
• Contribute to committees, working groups, and task forces for the library, university,
CSU, and ULMS projects, while also actively participating in library planning.
• Maintain current knowledge of the development of national and international standards
for cataloging, metadata, and linked data.
• ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of RDA, AACR2, DCRM(b), LCCS, LCSH, and MARC
formats and standards.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse population of
colleagues and library stakeholders.
• Experience cataloging using the OCLC bibliographic utility.
• Experience using a library services platform, preferably Ex Libris’ Alma.
• Demonstrated experience cataloging special collections materials, serials, music, and
manuscripts in English and preferably other languages as well.
• Current awareness of new trends and emerging technologies in cataloging and technical
• Excellent analytical and pro-active problem solving, organizational, and project
• Ability to work independently and as a member or leader of a team.
• Ability to adapt to rapid change and to exercise creativity and initiative.
Rank and Salary
Appointment is expected to be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian with salary
commensurate with qualifications and experience. Time base is up to full-time.
Submit a letter of intent/interest, a current CV, and the names and contact information of three
references to Elizabeth Detrich, Personnel Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-338-3641. For
full consideration, apply by September 18, 2020.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against
persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information,
gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin,
sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable
accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by
contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.