|Research, Outreach, and Instruction Librarian, Non-Tenure Track, San Francisco State University|
Classification: Temporary Library Faculty Position
Search Number: N/A
Anticipated Start Date: Flexible
Posting Information: ResearchOutreachInstructionLibrarian_2021.pdf
San Francisco State University’s J. Paul Leonard Library is a busy, teaching-oriented
institution supporting a community of 25,000 students as well as faculty and staff. The
library seeks applicants for a Research, Outreach, and Instruction Librarian. This
position will work collaboratively with other liaison librarians to proactively develop
partnerships with faculty to develop and deliver services that support the university’s
teaching, learning, and research initiatives. Note that while liaisons are currently
assigned to specific departments and programs, we are planning to move to a teambased structure in which liaison teams support colleges. We also plan to have a Student
Success and Engagement team focused on first year experience and lower-division
general information literacy instruction, research assistance services, and student
outreach and engagement initiatives. We are thus looking for applicants whose interests,
expertise, and experiences are aligned with one or more of these teams.
● Providing general research assistance to the San Francisco State community.
● Teaching information literacy instruction sessions.
● Participating in the development of outreach and instructional materials.
● Serving as a liaison to assigned academic departments.
● Contributing to collection development related projects.
● Participating collegially in the collaborative development, implementation,
assessment, and improvement of library resources, services, policies, and
ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent.
● Experience providing research assistance.
● Teaching or training experience, including the development of student learning
outcomes, the use of active learning strategies, and the creation and use of
assessments that measure student learning.
● Experience creating online research guides, instructional videos, tutorials, and/or
other digital learning objects and instructional support materials.
● Experience engaging in outreach initiatives or designing outreach materials that
promote an organization’s resources, services, and/or programming.
● Experience using Springshare’s suite of products (e.g., LibGuides, LibAnswers,
● Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
● Strong commitment to equity and inclusion and the ability to work effectively and
collegially with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Rank and Salary
Appointment is expected to be at the rank of Assistant or Senior Assistant Librarian with
rank and salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Time base is up to
Submit a letter of intent/interest, a current CV, and the names and contact information of
three references to Elizabeth Detrich, Personnel Coordinator: email@example.com.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate
against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic
information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical
condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other
protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants
with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Library’s Personnel Coordinator, Liz
Detrich, at firstname.lastname@example.org.