Research, Outreach, and Instruction Librarian
Non-Tenure Track – J. Paul Leonard Library
San Francisco State University’s J. Paul Leonard Library is a busy, teaching-oriented
institution supporting a community of 25,000 students as well as faculty and staff. We
are seeking applicants for Research, Outreach, and Instruction Librarians who will work
collaboratively with other liaison librarians to cultivate partnerships with faculty and to
develop and deliver services that support the university’s teaching, learning, and
research activities. Note that we are transitioning to a team-based structure in which
liaison teams support colleges. We are also developing a Student Success and
Engagement team focused on the first-year experience and lower-division general
information literacy instruction, research assistance services, and student outreach and
engagement initiatives. We are thus looking for applicants whose interests, expertise,
and experiences are aligned with one or more of these teams. We particularly welcome
applications from librarians with experience and/or interest in one or more of the
following subject areas: business, education, science.
● Providing general research assistance to the San Francisco State community.
● Teaching information literacy instruction sessions.
● Participating in the development of outreach and instructional materials.
● Serving as a liaison to assigned colleges.
● Contributing to collection development related projects.
● Participating collegially in the collaborative development, implementation,
assessment, and improvement of library resources, services, policies, and
ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent.
● Experience providing research assistance.
● Teaching or training experience, including the development of student learning
outcomes, the use of active learning strategies, and the creation and use of
assessments that measure student learning.
● Experience creating online research guides, instructional videos, tutorials, and/or
other digital learning objects and instructional support materials.
● Experience engaging in outreach initiatives or designing outreach materials that
promote an organization’s resources, services, and/or programming.
● Experience using Springshare’s suite of products (e.g., LibGuides, LibAnswers,
● Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
● Strong commitment to equity and inclusion and the ability to work effectively and
collegially with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
● Education, experience, and/or interest in one of the following subject areas:
business, education, science.
Rank and Salary
Appointment is expected to be at the rank of Assistant or Senior Assistant Librarian with
rank and salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Time base is up to
Submit a letter of intent/interest, a current CV, and the names and contact information of
three references to Elizabeth Detrich, Personnel Coordinator: email@example.com.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate
against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic
information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical
condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other
protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants
with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Library’s Personnel Coordinator,
Liz Detrich, at firstname.lastname@example.org.