$51.51 – $62.61 Hourly
$4,120.96 – $5,009.05 Biweekly
$8,928.74 – $10,852.94 Monthly
$107,144.88 – $130,235.28 Annually
Location Contra Costa County, CA
Job Type Permanent Full-Time
Job Number 3KGA-2021A
Closing date and time 7/16/2021 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (US & Canada)
The PositionBargaining Unit: Management – Mgmt Classes, Classified & Exempt
Contra Costa County’s Library Department is seeking qualified candidates to fill a vacancy for the Library Services Manager classification.
The Library is made up of nearly 300 employees serving 26 communities throughout Contra Costa County. Its mission is to “Bring People and Ideas Together.” It seeks to enrich lives by delivering a consistent, high-quality, and inviting experience at all points of contact.
It is an innovative, entrepreneurial and dynamic civic institution that is committed to providing exceptional services to its communities. The Library assumes a critical role in making the communities strong, equitable, resilient, and progressive.
The Library’s core goal is to champion personal and community engagement through literacy and reading. It has implemented several programs to ensure easy, equitable access to library services for all. This was exemplified by the Library saying “Farewell to Fines” at the beginning of 2019! By promoting Library services and programs to the community we meet our mission of “Bringing People and Ideas Together.”
We are looking for someone who is:
- Emotionally intelligent and effective in interpersonal interactions and authentic relationship building
- A Leader/Developer/Mentor
- Proactive and a Strategic Planner
- An Excellent Communicator/Collaborator
- Supportive of the Library’s efforts to provide equitable service to its patrons
- A Change Champion who is a visionary and creative thinker
- Able to thrive in an ever-changing environment
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Overseeing and coordinating operations of assigned community libraries or work units directly
- Supporting the Deputy County Librarians on organization-wide projects and initiatives
- Leading, advising, directing, and consulting with library managers on staffing needs, employee relations, polices, program services and library budgets
- Planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating major system-wide County Library programs and services
- Remaining informed of, and training staff on, advances in library management practices and resources
- Analyzing/creating reports regarding budgets, staffing, projects, procedures and make recommendations.
- Supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of staff
- Coordinating and/or participating in community engagement
A few reasons you might love this job:
- You will work for diverse communities and with diverse groups that appreciate the library
- You will be a member of a strong and supportive leadership team
- You will have continuous learning opportunities including ongoing training
- You will lead or participate in innovative initiatives to bring positive and transformative change
- You will have excellent benefits including: Health benefits, paid holidays, professional development reimbursement, paid admin leave
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- You will be responsible for managing staff at multiple off-site locations
- You will have to navigate a public agency that is bound by Budget/MOU/policy restrictions
- You will need to learn to work within and navigate a large, complex organization
- You will have to adapt and respond to constantly changing conditions
- Professional & Technical Expertise: Applying technical subject matter to the job
- Critical Thinking: Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, and claims
- Decision Making: Choosing optimal courses of action in a timely manner
- Professional Integrity & Ethics: Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
- Building & Maintaining Relationships: Establishing rapport and maintaining mutually productive relationships
- Coaching & Developing Others: Supporting others in stretching and expanding their capabilities
- Delegating: Sharing responsibility, authority, and accountability
- Leadership: Guiding and encouraging others to accomplish a common goal
- Teamwork: Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
- Leveraging Diversity: Appreciating the benefits of varied backgrounds and cultures in the workplace
- Leading the Organizational Culture: Driving the organization’s culture through establishing and enforcing norms and/or behaviors in addition to processes
- Managing & Facilitating Change: Addressing key factors that influence successful organizational change
- Organizational Systems Thinking: Comprehending the organization as a system of integrated and interdependent functions
- Project Management: Ensuring that projects are on-time, on-budget, and achieve their objectives
- Thinking & Acting Systematically: Formulating objectives and priorities, and implementing plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organization in a global environment
- Previous experience in a public library supervising a large number of staff
- Experience leading teams through challenging times and changes
- Project management experience in a deadline driven environment
- Previous experience working within a limited budget
- Experience with procedure and policy writing or implementation
- Experience training on emotional and cultural intelligence
- Analytical thinker
To read the complete job description, please visit the website, www.cccounty.us/hr. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for 6 months.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
License Required: Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator’s license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master of Library Science Degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
Experience: Three (3) years full-time or its equivalent experience in library management or in a public, major business, or large academic library program and services development: two (2) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.Selection Process
- Application Filing: All applicants must apply on-line at http://www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date. A completed Supplemental Questionnaire is required at the time of applying.
- Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
- Oral Assessment: An oral assessment (interview) will be conducted to measure candidates’ competencies as they relate to the job. These may include, but are not limited to: Professional and Technical Expertise, Critical Thinking, Professional Integrity and Ethics, Building and Maintaining Relationships, Leadership, Leveraging Diversity, and Thinking and Acting Systematically. (Weighted 100%)
The oral assessment is tentatively scheduled to take place on Wednesday, August 4, 2021.
The assessment may be administered remotely using a computer; If so, you will need access to a reliable internet connection to participate in the assessment.
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.AgencyCounty of Contra Costa
To find more information on Benefits offered by Contra Costa County, please go to https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/1343/Employee-Benefits
Agency: County of Contra Costa