Bargaining Unit: Management – Mgmt Classes, Classified & Exempt
Contra Costa County’s Library Department is seeking qualified candidates to fill a vacancy for the Library Services Manager classification.
The Library is made up of nearly 300 employees serving 26 communities throughout Contra Costa County. Its mission is to “Bring People and Ideas Together.” It seeks to enrich lives by delivering a consistent, high-quality, and inviting experience at all points of contact.
It is an innovative, entrepreneurial and dynamic civic institution that is committed to providing exceptional services to its communities. The Library assumes a critical role in making the communities strong, equitable, resilient, and progressive.
The Library’s core goal is to champion personal and community engagement through literacy and reading. It has implemented several programs to ensure easy, equitable access to library services for all. This was exemplified by the Library saying “Farewell to Fines” at the beginning of 2019! By promoting Library services and programs to the community we meet our mission of “Bringing People and Ideas Together.”
We are looking for someone who is:
• Emotionally intelligent and effective in interpersonal interactions and authentic relationship building
• A Leader/Developer/Mentor
• Proactive and a Strategic Planner
• An Excellent Communicator/Collaborator
• Supportive of the Library’s efforts to provide equitable service to its patrons
• A Change Champion who is a visionary and creative thinker
• Able to thrive in an ever-changing environment
What you will typically be responsible for:
• Overseeing and coordinating operations of assigned community libraries or work units directly
• Supporting the Deputy County Librarians on organization-wide projects and initiatives
• Leading, advising, directing, and consulting with library managers on staffing needs, employee relations, polices, program services and library budgets
• Planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating major system-wide County Library programs and services
• Remaining informed of, and training staff on, advances in library management practices and resources
• Analyzing/creating reports regarding budgets, staffing, projects, procedures and make recommendations.
• Supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of staff
• Coordinating and/or participating in community engagement
A few reasons you might love this job:
• You will work for diverse communities and with diverse groups that appreciate the library
• You will be a member of a strong and supportive leadership team
• You will have continuous learning opportunities including ongoing training
• You will lead or participate in innovative initiatives to bring positive and transformative change
• You will have excellent benefits including: Health benefits, paid holidays, professional development reimbursement, paid admin leave
A few challenges you might face in this job:
• You will be responsible for managing staff at multiple off-site locations
• You will have to navigate a public agency that is bound by Budget/MOU/policy restrictions
• You will need to learn to work within and navigate a large, complex organization
• You will have to adapt and respond to constantly changing conditions
• Professional & Technical Expertise: Applying technical subject matter to the job
• Critical Thinking: Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, and claims
• Decision Making: Choosing optimal courses of action in a timely manner
• Professional Integrity & Ethics: Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
• Building & Maintaining Relationships: Establishing rapport and maintaining mutually productive relationships
• Coaching & Developing Others: Supporting others in stretching and expanding their capabilities
• Delegating: Sharing responsibility, authority, and accountability
• Leadership: Guiding and encouraging others to accomplish a common goal
• Teamwork: Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
• Leveraging Diversity: Appreciating the benefits of varied backgrounds and cultures in the workplace
• Leading the Organizational Culture: Driving the organization’s culture through establishing and enforcing norms and/or behaviors in addition to processes
• Managing & Facilitating Change: Addressing key factors that influence successful organizational change
• Organizational Systems Thinking: Comprehending the organization as a system of integrated and interdependent functions
• Project Management: Ensuring that projects are on-time, on-budget, and achieve their objectives
• Thinking & Acting Systematically: Formulating objectives and priorities, and implementing plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organization in a global environment
• Previous experience in a public library supervising a large number of staff
• Experience leading teams through challenging times and changes
• Project management experience in a deadline driven environment
• Previous experience working within a limited budget
• Experience with procedure and policy writing or implementation
• Experience training on emotional and cultural intelligence
• Analytical thinker
To read the complete job description, please visit the website, http://www.cccounty.us/hr. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for 6 months.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
License Required: Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator’s license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master of Library Science Degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
Experience: Three (3) years full-time or its equivalent experience in library management or in a public, major business, or large academic library program and services development: two (2) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.